What is the best report writer that can be used with wappler?

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion of what is the best reportwriter that can be used with wappler?

I have read about Sid’s html to PDF, and others’ efforts using FPDF, but I am looking for a more general purpose reporting tool. My wish list is …

• can output at least in excel, pdf and csv
  • has a good design interface, with minimum coding necessary, but a coding available for trickier situations
  • can be installed and used from within my website, not served from some other server somewhere.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Kind Regards
BruceX

Could use Datatables with the export (HTML5 export in the options when you download) extension and advanced filtering (select SearchBuilder in the options when you download, will allow you to filter the results and then export as PDF or Excel, CSV, or to Print).

Set-up has been covered, although you will have to add the above extensions to Datatables yourself (very configurable).

If you need any help @BruceX just ask!

That is about the quickest, reasonable looking, dirty way…

2 Likes

Datatables is actually really great. And with NodeJS, datatables and editorjs both can be highly customized.
Seeing that you want excel, pdf and csv, its would be a great fit for tabular information.

But, If you want a custom report with charts, tables, text, images etc, i would suggest to use the extension.
It all runs on your server, is a bit tricky to master the output design, but works great.

2 Likes

Hi Dave, Thanks for the pointer. I had a good look at DataTables, it looks brilliant at generating tabular type reports. I almost thought that, as a table, it could be used for inline editing of data, much like an excel. But I could not find that feature mentioned.

But I am looking for something that could also print Forms such as an Invoice or a Receipt or whatever. Also some analytic ability. Hopefully there is something useful out there.

SId - just read your reply, makes datatables look more than I realised, thanks.

That exactly what the Editor library from Data Tables is for: https://editor.datatables.net/

Do share if you find something. We currently use puppeteer for any such requirements.

We have used, and continue to use, the Kendo PDF library to provide PDF functionality. Maybe this is suitable? Very simple to implement, easily styled, PDF’s look great and represent what you see on the screen. Details below:

Just remember to include jQuery if you are using BS5!

Hi Dave, I have had a deep dive into Kendo, at first I got a fright that it was so expensive, then I realised Kendo Core is free. The Grid looked very promising, with its PDF and Excel exports, and I downloaded Kendo Core, only to realise that the Grid is not in the Core according to this.

If you know different please let me know. Many of the widgets in the core are already available in Wappler, at the moment I do not see any use for Kendo Core.

I have also had a deep dive into JasperSoft Reports which seems promising. I have not got it to work on my website yet, but will let you know if it is any good.

Hi @BruceX,

Telerik has another product called Telerik Report Server (stand-alone), which provides a Server to manage reports, users, data-connections etc. I have been using this application for many years to provide online reporting solution to my clients (fetching data from MSSQL and csv). We have recently integrated this in our soon to be launched SaaS application (JS integration in our case, but you can also integrate via .net or similar frameworks).

Telerik Reports, which is part of Telerik Report Server, offer exports in various formats, charts and graphs, parametrisation and connectivity to multiple data sources. You can choose between Telerik Reports or Report Server depending on your requirements.

I also looked at Jasper Reports when searching for an online reporting solution for my clients. It’s a great product but I found it be quite expensive for my budget.

1 Like

Hey @BruceX
Use this demonstration to get you going as it contains all the links to files necessary to be up and running with PDF exports in minutes. You simply need the PDF export side of the library. No need for the full grid (for that I’d just use DataTables personally).

http://dojo.telerik.com/otugA