Welcome Bubblers! (An honest review)

Love your philosophy. Simple. And you only made one promise. To make the tool better.

We don’t need a promise about what happens if Wappler goes out of business because we own the code.

I really love your transparency when deciding features through community voting. And I also love how you opened the conversation before building something to make sure you capture your user needs.

This is something that I miss in bubble. Yes. You can post a suggestion on the forums but you will get a standard reply about it if you ever get one. We will pass it to the engineering team.

At the beginning founders were heavily involved with the community but with growth came other responsibilities and eventually they were not there. They pass from time to time, but it’s not the same. They did hire very nice guys to handle the community but it’s not the same neither.

From what I see here you can feel that you are really helping build the product as part of the community.

Keep up the good work.

6 Likes

Another ex-Bubbler here. Liking Wappler already because I have the controls, not somebody halfway across the planet. And it’s not slow too - something Bubble always was.

3 Likes

Welcome @marcusandrews! Another thing I forgot to mention is that Wappler only adds in javascript files where it needs to so no bloated codebase for your users to wait to download.

3 Likes

:tada: :tada::tada:

That is the biggest downside with Bubble… performance. This is where Wappler 100% wins (along with portability I personally love that I get to choose how to scale my own app). It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison one day of load times of a simple application. However there are great things that bubble does as well which I hope will be integrated within wappler one day as well.

3 Likes

I’ll get that knocked up sometime this week :slight_smile: a quick intro into choosing hosting what to look out for a comparison between the options etc. Will be PHP only im afraid as I have no experience with ASP (plus they are usually a lot more expensive).

(Oops sorry for the double post!)

3 Likes

This is the flexibility I really enjoy. It is great to have visual builders, and when you need to go deeper, you can… Easily. Much like the command line is often a better tool than a gui window, typing out commands in the wappler editor is often my goto.

4 Likes

Good day! Newbie here. I just started Bubble a week ago. So far so good. I’m a total beginner in making a webapp and Bubble gave me the opportunity to make one without the need for codes. However, given the pricing scenario in Bubble, I’m confused whether I should continue learning the Bubble route or should I start looking for alternative.

And now I found Wappler. Just lurking around here a few hours ago. Thinking of learning how making a web app with wappler works. However, the biggest drawback for me is the 7 days free trial. In Bubble, I can use Bubble and learn to make an app and make it Live for free. So no cost for learning the Bubble. However, in wappler, after 7 days, it will start to charge me for using the software while studying how it works. (€19 is big for an average-earning person here in the Philippines)

Just asking guys whether will it be worth it if I take the Wappler route immediately? Or use Bubble for MVP then transfer to Wappler if I want to scale?

Then problem with starting using Bubble is it is proprietary so you can’t just move your code over to another server like you can with Wappler so in my opinion any time with bubble will be wasted when you finally make the transition

To echo what @Hyperbytes has said, Bubble uses Workflows to perform tasks. Wappler uses server actions. Not entirely different but enough to have to learn how they differ from each other. To be really honest with you, if you have little or no-code experience, you will not learn Wappler completely in 7 days.

If you start with Bubble and then decide to move to Wappler, you cannot transfer your app. You will need to start again from scratch.

Bubble and Wappler both have their pros and cons but I believe choosing Wappler (although the higher initial cost) will give you a much better chance at scaling your app in the near future.

1 Like

Also the ohter thing to bear in mind is that its 19 euros for unlimited sites. When you go live with bubble you have to pay per site (you do have hosting costs however with wappler but on shared hosting you could run quite a few apps on 5 euro per month hosting I would of thought depending on complexity and amount of concurrent users accessing each app). Another thing to bear in mind that if you want dynamic sites you do need to go for the Pro which would probably be applicable to most people coming from bubble.

Hi @Shuteopengco and welcome to Wappler!

With Wappler you use and learn web development in general. Take advantage of the best practices and frameworks used by the professionals. Those are skills that you can apply to any web development process.

Wappler can greatly assist you learning general web development and make you very productive after that, but a general base is required.

That is why I usually suggest that absolute beginners start with a general web development course, like the responsive web design courses available for free at the freecodecamp:

They also have a great course on Bootstrap as well.

After you pass those, then you will be able to appreciate and use Wappler in a much better level.

4 Likes

Just saw the Bubble pricing … holy crap! Is that per site?

@George meaning, I should take a course on general web development first to appreaciate what wappler has to offer?

I think a free version for an absolute beginner like me is good for wappler and will take most of the “no code” peeps from other platforms to migrate into wappler as well. Maybe a free version wherein it will be open for basic operations but cannot extract or export the code or project?

@datguru we cannot make dynamic web app using the basic version?

Yes, you need the pro version for dynamic data content.

Not really :slight_smile: Having some basic HTML/CSS knowledge could just help you with the logic while building a web app.

Unfortunately so. It’s now going to be $529/Month for the Sub-app feature which I use to enable multi-tenancy. Crazy money for people just starting out.

The thing I found even more crazy about the pricing was the limited storage 10GB - 20GB is not alot of storage for the money.

Can’t believe in this day and age that any host actually limits storage, all the plans I offer my customers are unlimited storage and bandwidth

3 Likes