WebSockets connection lost when download is used

Wappler 5 b7
Windows10pro
NodeJS
Docker

An unpleasant and serious bug that greatly harms the operation of the application.

The problem arises with sockets. When using the download component, a socket restart is started, which makes all server actions that use sockets as a transport for data unavailable for about 35 - 60 seconds (until the sockets restart):

Live demo: https://socketstrouble.testingapp.site/

In the application, users actively use file downloads and this bug makes the application literally inoperable.

What can be urgently done to get around this bug? I would appreciate any ideas.

My bugs report is bursting with user complaints. Downloading files prevents them from using the app.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to work around the problem. However, I can’t opt out of sockets (this is a real-time messaging app) and I can’t prohibit file downloads (this is also the main function of the app).

How is the download inplemented? And is it the server not sending any events during a download or the client that is downloading that isn’t receiving the events?

Thank you so much for your help, @patrick

I sent a fully customized demo project in private messages.

1 Like

The download button was a link to a server connect action with a download action. The link triggered a navigation request causing the websocket to disconnect. Solution was to add the download attribute to the link tag, alternative you could also use target="_blank" or the download component.

2 Likes