Wappler FTP not an improvement over FileZilla

I don’t think it’s that simple either - I wish it were. As I describe here, saving a file can upload other files which you have not chosen to upload - with potentially disastrous consequenes.

Tom, you are referring to a totally different thing - uploading the latest versions of the Bootstrap 4 files.

I have quoted the relevant part above. I would have thought the issue is controlling what files are uploaded to the server (which might or might not include Bootstrap 4 files).

This happened to us several times (at first we thought it was us but definitely not the case, multiple Projects have had files uploaded without our intervention) and we did not select to synchronize anything. We believe it happened when Wappler opened the Project and without notification uploaded everything. Some notifications of what is being updated would be great, I think I remember the older DMX extensions providing a notification of updated files that require uploading? This is far more sensible then uploading blindly.

We have never uploaded the ‘_pgbackup’ directory to any of our Projects knowingly, ever (one of our designers uses Pinegrow). Yet it has been uploaded. I’m sure Wappler doesn’t need to update this? :wink:

Hi Dave,
Please check George’s reply. Wappler does not upload “everything” it most probably uploaded the Bootstrap 4 or App Connect files:

Also, the message you mention were not related to the DW extensions we offer, but this is how DW sync works.

This year we will introduce a whole new publishing workflow, which will let you control everything so such thing won’t happen.

Well, if you click the Publish button this folder will be uploaded. In no other circumstances a random folder is auto uploaded.

Never clicked that button Teodor!! Have been around bit… Quite aware of what files are on my server and what should not be there.

We do not auto upload random folders Dave. Our scripts auto upload our own frameworks.
You either clicked upload or publish button - no other ways for this to happen.

I can assure you it is not me manually uploading these files (I am responsible for server uploads). No other program has automatic ftp access aside from Wappler. We use another ftp client outside of Wappler most of the time and we do not upload folders like the Pinegrow example so something is happening that maybe is not known about? Am not having a pop just letting you know Wappler IS uploading these items.

I’m going to blame Quantum Pollution. :smiley:

Dave, i already explained you what and when we check, update and upload and what are the two possible reasons for such a folder to be uploaded on your server.

Turning this topic into a chat room isn’t really helpful.

In what context? It’s a serious issue that we are being told we are imagining to some regard. Not the case Teodor. I tried to make light of a serious situation that is not being acknowledged. In what way is this turning it in to a chat room? What is a forum? Come on Teodor don’t get mad at me it’s really unfair mate. This is not a wind-up it is incredibly serious.

The only issue, if it can be called like that is that when a new version of app connect OR bootsrap 4 is added to Wappler, as soon as you save your page - we check the files timestamps and auto upload them to the server. These are the only files which will ever get auto uploaded.

In no circumstance, different than clicking publish or upload buttons Wappler will or is able to auto upload a random folder to your server.

This:

I really don’t have anything else to say on this topic.

A simple we will investigate would be nice. Being told this is not happening or it’s our fault is not helpful when we can see it is happening and we are not at fault.

And that is closure for me on this matter. We have raised it, it has been heard. Good enough for me.

1 Like

I think uploading anything automatically - without your knowledge or intention - can be problematic (and potentially disastrous in the case of Bootstrap for example). All that is being suggested/requested is giving more information and control about such automatic actions; it’s then for the developer to decide what to do about it (eg to update files, not to upload certain files or perhap be aware of things which might need checking).

1 Like

This whole workflow will change.
As George explained in a similar topic a while back:

I agree that sometimes you don’t want to have Wappler update your files to the latest version. We only update files to the latest version with minor updates, when Bootstrap 5 would come out we would add it as a new Framework and not automatic update your current Bootstrap 4. Minor updates should always be backward compatible, if not then we normally won’t auto update it.

As George already mentions, we want to change the way publishing works in Wappler. We try do this is small steps. At this moment the upload depends on the target you selected, it tries to keep the current selected target in sync with your development. So if you don’t want to have it upload to your server you could set the target to local, as that is where you are working then switch to the remote server only when you want to upload/sync to it.

1 Like

There is going to be, necessarily, a FIRST TIME for Wappler to initiate an FTP to the target folder of the online hosting server.

THAT is definitely when I have experienced Wappler uplooading EVERYTHING to the online server.

Every single folder & file — every Font file, CSS, every file that is loaded into the project folder after choosing one bootstrap style framework. All of the other bootstrap styles are also loaded. On first defining the remote target & checking the connection for the first time then I wanted to pick out just the pages that pertained to the application I wanted online.

Wappler sent everything Online.

I now try to pull out just the needed pages and supporting files into a whole separate project to try to prevent this - Experimenting with this.

A file & folder protection/exclude synch or upload management is needed.