Wappler crashing

Hey,

Over the past few days, Wappler has been randomly crashing while I am using it. There’s no specific action or situation that I can identify that is consistently causing the crash.

I was happening in version 3.32 and now in 3.33 which dashed my hopes of the new version addressing the issue.

As for what’s causing the crashes… I’m simply working in Split view or on a Server Connect component and it just shuts down.

I am writing this post in order to ask for help to provide you the best information possible to troubleshoot the situation.

Thank you.

Make sure you have the latest video drivers and maybe try a clean install of Wappler, that usually helps:

Thank you @George!

Video drivers were/are up to date.

It seems to be OK so far… got rid of a dodgy Data Store element which may have been the issue.

However, since I just said this, three minutes after I post this it will crash in which case I’ll reinstall and let you know if the issue persists.

@george I know I"m cross posting but saw this so I thought I would pipe in also. I did do a complete uninstall and reinstall. Thought it was good but I didn’t do to much after that day, but yesterday was back on it, and the crashing continued. I know somewhere there is a way to collect the crash data. But I can’t remember that link.

@baub, In the words of the great Curt Cobain “I’m not the only one!”. Good to know it’s not just me.

@George, I uninstalled/re-installed per the post instructions and am still experiencing intermittent crashes. Did a quick Google search and could not find anything about how to collect crash data.

Well we are monitoring crash in our logging tool Sentry, so will see if we can find more common source as more crashes are coming in.

In the meantime if you can recall if you are doing same specific action just before the crash it will be helpful.

And let me know how often it crashes.

Thank you @George. There is no pattern I can discern at this time.

I’m going to keep a log of the crashes and share when I have a decent sample size along with what I was doing before the crash. Let me know if you need any other info.

1 Like

Also what OS exactly are you on?

If on Windows - please make sure you are not running any bad antivirus software like Avast or Trend Micro Security. Those are known to cause random crashes to many software apps and Wappler as well.
Use just the standard Windows Definer.

Windows 10, regular updates.

I’m running and have been running Bitdefender since installing Wappler from day 1.

Just crashed for me for the first time. On a Mac. Just saved a file and it shut down. File did save.

That is the only time it has happened for me that I can recall.

With 3.3.2, I was experiencing extreme CPU usage. 80-95% randomly. Restarting Wappler fixed it for few minutes, but then it was back at it.

I did not experience any crashes at any point though.

I uninstalled and re-installed Wappler, twice… But no luck.
Finally I uninstalled again, completely deleted the Wappler folder in AppData in Windows, and installed it again.

Since then, I haven’t seen any CPU spikes. I updated to 3.3.3 and haven’t seen any issues yet.

I have seen other posts since 3.3.2 regarding this. So it might be that something is causing such issues for users who have existing installation and are updating Wappler.
Doing a completely fresh install seems to be working well.

Hey George,

So here is my log of crashes:

Date Time Activity
25-Sep 5:04 PM Editing Text Input Dynamic Event, Valye Updated Flow
25-Sep 5:10 PM Editing Text Input Dynamic Event, Valye Updated Flow
25-Sep 5:26 PM Server connect delete
25-Sep 5:41 PM Updating Select field Dynamic Event, adding Value Updated
27-Sep 5:07 PM Looking at DB and Google Chrome inspector, app shut down in the background
27-Sep 5:52 PM Selecting Select control dynamic attribute from server connect
27-Sep 6:14 PM Editing modal form inputs

Not sure how helpful this is but thought I’d share it just in case.

OS info

• Operating System : Windows 10.0.19041
  • Wappler Version : 3.3.3

Problem description

Random crashing.

Steps to reproduce

Not sure how to reproduce it, will just crash.

report_2020-8-29_14-22-30.zip (142.6 KB)

Related to:

@baub thanks for putting this thread together. chrome_debug.zip (40.9 KB)

My chrome_debug.log is zipped and attached.

Same as brad mentioned.

It will crash when I’m working in Wappler. But I can also leave the window open and it will eventually crash.

Here is another crash log running Wappler 3.3.5 (attached).chrome_debug (2).zip (14.0 KB)

Actually you don’t need to send the debug log when Wappler is not started with logging as it contains only a single screenshot.

We are getting crash reports automatically in our error reporting system Sentry. So we have the most info.

Thanks @George.

In the re-install instructions you shared initially ( Reinstall Wappler from scratch)

It doesn’t mention anything about first removing the application from the Windows 10 Add/Remove programs. So perhaps it wasn’t not fully installed?

Is it worth first Removing the application from the Add/Remove programs, then deleting the filers/folders mentioned in the post?

@George, I did another clean install.

Uninstalled from Windows 10 through the uninstaller. Deleted the Wappler user folder.

The application is still crashing on average every 15 minutes and is making it very hard to do my job.