Wappler Ambassadors - tell us your story!

@revjrblack an admin dashboard is nothing more than CRUD pages, behind a secure login. You can design it as you like.

1 Like

To be fair @niall_obrien, thatā€™s the way web dev is going, framework based, A Wappler programmer may struggle with, say an Angular project or a Node.js based one. The days of writing from scratch are disappearing fast.

Wappler is a framework, it may cost a sum for the tool but underneath, itā€™s a framework. Alternative tools like Dreamweaver, Visual Studio etc are not free either

2 Likes

For sure - but thereā€™s less of a lock-in issue when going with modern open-source tools as thereā€™s plenty of developers out there who are very familiar with said technologies.

1 Like

That will be true of any new framework,at one time Angular was new with limited users. Wappler is only just 1 year old.

The biggest bonus for me was Wappler produces standard HTML/ JS so can be changed by hand easily

1 Like

Dear @niall_obrien. The argument of being able to switch developers is the most told from anyone who is not using Wappler. Please donā€™t get me wrong. I am not trying to attack you :slight_smile:
If a company wants to switch the developer on a WP project, they will look for another WP developer. If a company wants to switch the developer on a Wappler project, they will look for another Wappler developer. In fact, Wappler is so ā€˜easyā€™ to understand that any developer who will look at the database and read Wappler documentation she/he will be able to get it very fast. No need to ā€˜understandā€™ any custom code added, no issues if the code is not well commented, no need to look at the plugins written from several developers (that some might break after a WP update). No spaghetti code.

So the real issue is to explain to the company why Wappler is a much better solution than an open-source CMS. Wappler is very young, people think that it is another drag and drop, website creator. This is ok and expected from people who still think that the only acceptable solution is an open-source approach.

From my experience, any of my clients who have tried something built with Wappler will find it very hard to go back in an environment that requires from them to ā€˜learnā€™ the open-source system, to make several updates, to always look for the right ā€˜freeā€™ plugin, and most important if a small change is required in the database or frontend structure, this might translate to many hours of work.

So I think that the reason that most people still using WP etc is that it is much more easier for developing companies to take the ā€˜riskā€™ out of them. If a new feature is required, they just search for a free plugin or pay 50$ to buy one and install it. If plugin requires customizationā€¦ problem.

If you ask a client if she/he wants a website with a lightweight backend that will fit her/his needs without requiring updates and without having to ā€˜learnā€™ the system I am very sure they will like it. The big benefit with Open Source CMS was that they were the only way to go comparing to functionalities and price. This was very true for many years. In fact it still is, with the only difference that nowadays there are other alternatives, like Wappler, that can create much more custom cutting edge results at the same or even lower cost than a full of plugins solution.

Thank you very much and enjoy Wappler!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got thick skin so donā€™t ever worry about offending me :slight_smile:
That was a great read and I agree with your points, obviously there will be a small hill to climb with any technology, but we will get there.

Iā€™m still learning Wappler; thereā€™s quite a curve and sometimes I feel that Iā€™d be quicker doing certain interactions between the client and server via code; but I know that once Iā€™m familiar with how everything clicks together, Iā€™ll be able to create advanced web applications (and not just web sites) at record-speed and have total control over the code-output etc. I look forward to one day sharing my story with you all.

2 Likes

This is true, that if you know coding some things would be much faster edited by typing than clickng. But if you consider all the time you save from not having to debug your code at the end you go much faster. Also you can still edit the code. Sometimes I find myself editing the code from a serveraction than recreating it from scratch. I mean you copy an existed ServerAction, open the file and remove or edit the parts you want to.

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Being a die hard hand coder before Wappler I found it took about 6 months then suddenly the workflow clicked into place then everything from then just seemed obvious. I very nearly cancelled after my initial 14 day trial, I am so pleased i didnā€™t do that!

3 Likes

Yeah, the trial period is a little short as I donā€™t think that youā€™ll really dig into Wapplerā€™s power within the 7 days.

Whatā€™s also neat @Hyperbytes is that now thereā€™s Git integration, we can share much more with the community. For example, once Iā€™ve my (generalised) registration & login process fully complete, I will put it on Github so that I and others have a solid foundation to start from when creating new projects. Such an approach would also improve the training materials youā€™re producing I imagine. Exciting times ahead :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I joined up there was no monthly subscription model, just a 14 day trial.

Monthly subscriptions allow more time to learn at small cost now.

1 Like

Great Idea :+1:

4 Likes