Use a plain hosting

Hello, I’ve just arrived to Wappler. I’m just an amateur graphic designer, I don’t have a deep knowledge in computing, server configuration and stuff…
Looks good the Docker concept of all in one server for developing in a local host. But turns out taht Docker compatible hostings, are in general more expensive and harder to configure. I just need to host a very basic website, with a tiny database.
Can I use a regular server, with just PHP and MySQL?
Thank you!

I believe you can use digitalocean servers for as little as $5 a month.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Digital Ocean might be actually cheap, but it’s not only about price. As I said, I have no idea of how to set up one of these virtual things, I’m more familiarized with the classic hostings with its cpanel, PHP and MySQL. My question is, if I can set up a Wappler project, avoiding all the Docker dependant components such NodeJS

Wappler makes docker hosting pretty easy (id never heard of docker until I found Wappler now my servers are using docker)

Also to get you started a month or two Wappler has referral links for Hetzner and digital ocean

https://hetzner.cloud/?ref=U5z0aWoIB2Nj

A docker tutorial on how to setup:

You can choose a number of hosting options Docker and ftp both work so along as cpannel has nodejs apps enabled should have no issues

Cpanel and FTP is possible. Undesirable, but possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

The simple answer is yes, you can use standard setups like cpanel php mysql etc, but in reality they are more difficult to setup than just using docker.

If you want a local development environment, you would need to first install and setup Wamp, Mamp, Lamp, depending on your needs, then configure it all, make sure apache, php and mysql are all working right. Then you have to go make a database manually.

If you go directly with a remote hosting provider on a standard linux hosting with normal cpanel etc. then you are going to have to first register your domain, sign up for a hosting package, go into cpanel and setup an FTP account so Wappler can send your files to it, run the database wizard in cpanel so Wappler can connect to your database etc.

If you go docker, you open Wappler, make a new project, choose docker, which walks you through and installs everything you need, you dont even have to start with a domain name, your machine will have local and remote environments available for your use, it will auto install docker and everything needed with it, as well as make your database all for you, so just way way easier, and personally i would choose Digital Ocean over Hetzner, but thats just my preference.

Edit: One more thing, Docker is also nice because it creates the site on an IP address, so you can work remotely, which means when you need Wappler community support you can provide a remote address we can take a look at that has nothing to do with your final URL

Ok, big tbank you!, maybe it’s just afraid to the unknown side.
I’ve spoken today with AWS, they guy has been like 5 minutes talking about servers, configurations, virtual machines… in words that I’ve never heard before, so I’ve got lost in the first 5 seconds. But probably you are right and it worth to give it a go
Tanks again!

I found AWS pretty confusing too, I use Docker, and I use Docker Volumes for uploads, witch means no setting up added services like docker spaces, or S3 buckets etc. and it all works really well like that.

Sounds good, i’ll definitely try it out

I’d recommend just starting simple by getting a site online. Others may dislike my suggestion to just go with PHP to begin with… Node, Docker, Templating are a little more advanced and something you can move on to once you get to grips with the basics of Wappler. Most hosts allow you to upgrade your hosting so more than likely its just a simple talk with the tech support team to enable enhanced features should you want to delve deeper…

Of-course you could dive straight in! No harm in that if you want to extend the learning curve. @ben has some fantastic video tutorials covering many subjects, check out his profile for links to them.

Whatever you select to go with the Community will help you with your journey so don’t be shy asking for help and advice!

Will close this reply with a welcome to Wappler @Ancefalus2

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreeing with @Dave here
Yes, of course you can.use PHP/MySQL
Personally i am not a docker fan, i have loads of PHP/MySQL on shared hosting sites as well as node sites (which i prefer to host on a VPS using FTP .rather than docker).

2 Likes

Yes! I’m a big fan of the @ben’s tutorials.
Another problem I had, is the country on the hosting company is based, first for the support language (english is’t my mother one) and also because seems better for Seo to have a local IP. For others having the same issue, I found these guys Clouding.io they are based in Spain and can offer either FTP shared hostings or Docker machines.
Thank you very much for the support received, it’s a great and very active community!