Thanks for V4 and the hard work but ... some wishes

at the end of the day the most important is not what to clone, it’s the whole process of showing how commun or specific features can be made with wappler. Step by step. As already discussed here the clone is just a basis to build with wappler. You should propose your service to the wappler team and propose a first serie of videos showing “how to” clone whatever webapp you want ))

1 Like

Between the current documentation and the YouTube channel all of the basics are covered. It’s impossible to document everything Wappler can do. Once you get the basics down, anything specific can be answered by asking here in the community. I have learned more by spending a few minutes a day here in the forums and asking questions when I get stuck. The support from the team and the community here is unbelievable.

Documentation is updated accordingly with new features constantly. Are you missing something?

ok ok

In Bubble, clone templates are monetized for the end-users to buy. There are several third-party companies that have a business around these clone templates. I’ve never seen Bubble team pay for the clones to be developed for them as learning material.

I am happy to build some clones if there is an incentive for me to do it.

Wappler app or wappler website?
The website for $10 is fair, but for the app I wouldn’t do it for less than $15.
Send me your details via PM and I’ll send you the contract.

3 Likes

Trouble is you would provide the clones then those who have purchased them have no idea how to use them (my personal experience anyway), and as we were talking the other day about the shear amount of support required to back up such offerings, would soon out weigh any financial incentive. Then if you’re not on top of the support you’re deemed as some sort of w@nker or unreliable, even after giving hours and hours of support out of the kindness of your heart. Just no pleasing some people @JonL

1 Like

please do not compare with bubble. Have a look at their documentation and tons of free ressources, it’s another planet. When we say clone we don’t think template but “how to”. Of course you can create one and sell it, I used to be part of community in bubble where i paid 30 dollars per month to get access to a decent amount of how to / quite complex projects explained, etc. Helped a lot. But don’t get me wrong it a circle that has to start from the product team and when the product team create traction with new users it will be space for community content / free and premium.

1 Like

The way everyone keeps getting attacked for asking for doc updates is pretty offputting. At least for me, it discourages me from asking questions. Tech is already inaccessible to some of us. No-code and Low-code, as advertised, is supposedly meant to bridge the gap. I found Wappler because dealing with devs who refuse to be thoughtful of non-technical people when communicating was expensive and demeaning.

It’s no one’s fault that the front page is all jargon but take this for example:

@ben thank you for sharing that link. Devs already know how to code lol but they get this beautiful, mobile friendly set of instructions with screenshots that fit and a whole menu that shows there’s way more information:

Is it possible the one made available to us be updated like this?

Do you know how long I spent trying to make sense of this:

I didn’t realize there was more to the images, or more to the doc, or invisible comments that only show when the image is expanded

This team is so busy and I don’t wish to suggest I think they need to do this. I don’t want them distracted or bothered.

Maybe a part time freelancer, someone with a touch of UI skills to show some empathy to non-coding users. Because it’s like telling a person who cannot walk they are more than welcome but then making it so they have no ramp to use and given narrow parking the absolute furthest from the door. It’s almost hostile, to be perfectly honest.

Since we can all see that this is not the message you guys care to share, please consider outsourcing some of this.

When highlighting details in a pic, use a bright color we can’t miss. I won’t even bother asking for docs on every update but core features for non-coders would be nice. Not everyone wants to have to consult with a forum for every iteration. Not everyone is chatty or has the patience.

I had to hire someone here to teach me basics. They did an incredible job but it honestly doesn’t make sense that some of us are taxed at much higher rate to make things online.

If this seems out of line as a request, it’s a bit unfair to market Wappler as it is currently being marketed. This isn’t about what devs who already know how to code, it’s about accessibility to all.

I’m deeply uncomfortable with even posting this but I feel I have to. My pleasurable project has these negative associations because I feel confrontational about asking for the basics and seeing others like me get so much snark. It’s not right

5 Likes

I am sorry that you have to experience this. It only goes to show that contributors to this forum are of the human kind whose personalities come from different sides of the spectrum.

As far as I am concerned, I totally agree that documentation is is lacking and, where it is available, some of it is outdated. In defence, Wappler is not unique in this regard. I have used programs and widgets in the past that suffer from a similar ailment. In fact, even Bubble is not immune when I read Square Payments.

So, why does Bubble have better documentation than Wappler? Bubble has a set of parameters that limit your choice as a developer. When I create a new page in Bubble as a newbie, all I have to do is give the project a name. And all is done. The project is immediately available to the web by using a URL in the browser.

Contrast Wappler as a newbie. The project gets a name, a project folder, a hosting type and a server model. Then the project settings where we are asked if a routing is required, the frameworks that you want to include and development and production targets.

Writing documentation for Bubble will take me 5 minutes at most. For Wappler?

It is a matter of choice, the flexibility of Wappler or the rigidity of Bubble and ilk.

As a side note, have you seen: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUjqTJN3byC9fUoXFnoNGlYBCBZOJUPca?

3 Likes

It’s nothing personal. It is just because it’s the same old story over and over again and it’s as offputting. People are fed up of “improve the documentation” topics. Those same people are actually offering themselves to invest their time replying to any doubts in the forum yet the ranters refuse to do it and demand from a small team to invest time in something the great majority of users don’t want.

People that complain about documentation are a minority. Vocal, but still a minority.

There are two ways to learn wappler:

a) You are developer and don’t care about documentation.
b) You are not a developer and need to go through the current materials, the forums and asking the community.

There is no 3rd way to learn wappler adjusted to a specific learning profile.

It is what it is. Either you accept it, suck it up and build something or you don’t. The sooner people understand this, the better for all.

1 Like

I think this makes perfect sense and that is why I have no interest in attacking the devs building this one of a kind tool. It’s not an easy thing to accomplish and yet they have been doing it for quite some time just quietly outshining all these other projects in value.

However if we can’t use it and only the people who know how to code can, it isn’t a solution for us yet.

It’s why I think they should get someone to do it for them. Frankly, if we needed to donate to fund it, I would pitch in. The potential here is pretty stunning. Bumble was never going to be the solution for my usecase so I’m never going to be the person demanding bloat dressed as bells and whistles over talent.

I’d offer to help myself, I just don’t know anything yet. Is the team opposed to outsourcing something like this on a small periodic scale? If so then I withdraw my suggestion!

Thanks for reminding me about this list. I’m seeing updates so I’ll check it out!

2 Likes

Actually, it is personal. It’s nonsensical gatekeeping to chastise people for repeating an issue when their needs have not been met. Your two ways to use Wappler fly in the face of how Wappler is advertised

This is the same gatekeeping that kept so many populations out of tech. So devs get spoonfed to the degree that if a window or color isn’t right, they get adjustments within the week but newbies and no coders come for ages and its zero response of accessible, current documention? How does that make sense?

If that is how it is, that’s fine but then to have you guys repeatedly say “you can ask the forum for anything” is disingenuous. We clearly cannot.

By the way, the last thing I feel like doing when working late hours into the night is posting ten basic questions and having to wait a 24 hour cycle for someone to answer so I can get to step two of a whole project.

Anyone who really takes a second to think about this “solution” can clearly see the extremely unwelcoming attitude of some of the devs here. There is a difference between suggesting people ask for help to problem solve versus demanding people pay a subscription and have to use a forum to learn basic functions.

The OP made this thread in July 2021. It is January 2022. The requests you’re so annoyed about have not been implemented. I think it was you who recently offered to code a clone, any clone, to get newbies to stop asking for this. What I can’t understand is if you can do that, why not update the fundamental docs yourself?

When it comes down to it, Mr. Ambassodor, is if you don’t want people using Wappler, just say that.

2 Likes

Consider all the mentions in this thread, the forum, around the web all saying the same thing.

This is not unlike a thread I read recently where a designer was trying to discuss the layout and seeing him get railroaded by devs who do not design about why their way is more rational.

No one is an expert at everything. There are reasons why conventions exist for some things. Like clear documentation and quality UX to make a tool usable.

Wappler would easily be out of the stratosphere in the tech world if a little respect was extended to people outside of the inner dev circle you cultivate. For instance, I saw what Wappler could do when I was getting tutored. It would be so simple to create compelling, stunning apps to showcase. But you need designers for that. Do you think professionals show up here and see outdated docs and an unfriendly forum as a rational use of their time?

Honestly.

1 Like

Until the documentation gets refreshed please ask for help in the Community. Your questions will be answered, and in the majority of circumstances an answer has probably already been provided. If you do not find an answer after searching then please post your questions.

The game of tennis that is “I’m right you’re wrong” has to stop.

There are many opinions shared within this topic. Validating one over the other repeatedly is not what this Community is about. Discussion is fine until it breaks down in to picking at each-other like Crows.

The Team are working on new documentation every week. It will catch-up. BUT until it does PLEASE ask in the Community.

Further bickering will result in this Topic being locked.

1 Like

#1 simple question: did you ever work in product / SaaS / Startup?
I guess you did not.

#2 It is just because it’s the same old story over and over again and it’s as offputting

It means there is a need. Like it or not.

#3 People that complain about documentation are a minority. Vocal, but still a minority.

Do you have the Kpi ? Without retention & Churn it’s hard to get a full picture. What i can tell you is that i have brought 15+ people into wappler and 100% left after few days or week. Reasons :

1. poor onboarding.
  2. poor documentation.
  3. no academy / trainings / workshops etc.
  4. waste of time and energy to spend hours on this forum.

#4 It is what it is. Either you accept it, suck it up and build something or you don’t. The sooner people understand this, the better for all.

i got the answer to my question #1

PS : you didn’t have the same opinion 2 years ago when you started using wappler ))

1 Like

I have closed and unlisted this topic and referred my decision to do this to Teodor.

2 Likes

This topic was turning into a non-civilized discussion, which our community is not supposed to be a place for so thanks Dave for taking care.
If some of the participants in this topic want to suggest something constructive to our team, regarding the initial topic, feel free to contact me in a personal message. We don’t want “fights” in the community.

3 Likes