Text with french characters not displaying correctly

Hello,

I am having an issue displaying special characters like in French.
I am using utf8 on both the site and the database and have made several encoding combinations but it is still the same.

For your information, I do not have this issue when using Dreamweaver for example.

Does anyone know the root cause?

Please attached for more details:

Hello,
There are a couple of reasons for this to happen:

1. Your data was not inserted as UTF8 in the UTF8 database fields - usually happens with the DW server behaviors …
  2. Your data was inserted in fields with different collation and then you changed it to UTF8

both of these mess the things.

Thanks for your prompt reply @Teodor.
I have made several combinations in order to have this fixed so now both reasons may apply to my case.
How to fix this?

You will need to re-enter the content into your db fields the proper way. Wrongly stored data will not show properly until re-entered.

@Teodor,

If I enter the information directly in to the database the issue is solved, but when using the original CMS Web interface (which by the way is not created with wappler but uses utf-8 as well), the issue is still here.
I am testing the public pages with wappler first and will switch the admin backend to later.

Is your CMS using the DW server behaviors?

Yes. It is using DW server behaviors.

This is a common problem with these old scripts …
You need to add mysql_query('set names utf8', $connection); in your connection file, otherwise it won’t store them properly as utf-8.
just replace “$connection” with your connection name.
. Just as it is here:

Make sure your DB table collation is set to utf8_general_ci

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @Teodor! This solves my issue.
Good lesson!

1 Like

You just need to get rid of these old, deprecated server behaviors and build your CMS using Wappler, as it produces modern and secure code.

2 Likes

When copying and pasting text with these characters into Wappler editor, this also happens. Is it something you can fix on your side?

What do you mean? What do you copy and where and how?

So I copy the following text from a webpage into Wappler:

From getting customers to receiving payments, the app does all of the work, so you can focus on what’s important to you.

And it is copied into Wappler and displays in editor as:

From getting customers to receiving payments, the app does all of the work, so you can focus on what’s important to you.

what’s vs. what’s

Are you sure your webpage provides the data as utf-8? It all depends on how the data is delivered to your pwebsite.
Can you send me a link?

http://dev.pixlapps.com/kwikbuck.co.za/

Well, the problem is on your page.
Character encoding is not declared there (on the page), so the page is processed using windows-1252, which causes the copy-paste issue …
Even when you look at your page source code in the browser you can see it is wrongly processed. Maybe it is also wrongly stored in the db as well, or if it is not a dynamic data, copied from some editor like Word, etc.

1 Like

Yeah. I am new to wrappler and want to migrate the public pages of my CMS first before the admin backend.
More questions coming from me in the next coming days, LoL. But I like what I see so far.

1 Like