Surface pro & Wappler

Hi,

I am well overdue to renew my laptop.
I was planning on getting a Surface Pro 6(or 7 when it’s released).

Given my recent move to Wappler it would be reckless for me not to ask if someone has a surface pro and how does Wappler behave on it.

I used Surface pro 4, wappler is wonderful in it. I had issue with the installation of wampserver initially, but after windows update, i was able to use mysql/php admin. So wappler is great in that, go ahead and buy…

1 Like

i have a surface pro6. Resolution is okay but really suggest to work with a second monitor for testing your GUI.

HP Spectre is also nice, but heavy

1 Like

Thanks both. Yes I use external displays when developing. 12 inch is just too small.

I was asking more about performance given that Wappler uses chromium and that’s a big resource eater.

Have you had performance issues?

I found disabling the Software Reporter Tool built in to Chrome helped a lot.

2 Likes

I useWappler on the surface pro 6. I’ve had performance issues with multiple files open in a project and a web browser open. With just Wappler open it’s usually alright. Wappler seems to drain the battery pretty quick. I second the second monitor suggestion as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! What version do you have? CPU and RAM.

i5 and 8gb ram.

1 Like

So I guess I have to go for the 16 GB one if I’m planning on multitasking with Wappler.

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

8gb isnt enough in 2019. Go with i7 and 16gb. Chrome drains your battery quickly. I can use my Surface Pro for around 5 hours and its new.

Also I suggest you sell your Surface before your battery blows up slowly and get a new one. First signs are : Yellow stains and burns on Surface Pro (sadly a common problem).

https://www.google.ch/search?q=surface+pro+yellow+burn&client=safari&hl=de-ch&prmd=isnv&sxsrf=ACYBGNQwZyedSE8z5NAXYI0isDEPxwKhKA:1569257514999&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYj_jls-fkAhVL06YKHb59CjkQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=375&bih=635

The current Wappler is pretty fast, but indeed 16GB is these days a minimum. Also for Windows an I7 is nice to have. SSD is also a must. Make sure it is NVme. But that is standard with Survace Pro I think.

You will need more memory - specially with the upcoming huge update :slight_smile: - we will be adding something really cool to Wappler :slight_smile: very soon.

MacBook would be even better - but that is up to your budget.

5 Likes

I don’t have a Surface Pro, but I do have an i5 CPU with 8GB of RAM. It runs smoothly with Wappler and 20+ browser tabs open. It runs around 70%-90% of memory.

If you’re running a local stack for AMP, then having more than 8GB will be necessary.

1 Like

Jeez… but couldn’t this happen to a new surface as well?

/me goes and reserves 2019 Mac Pro(Grater edition) with 1.5 TB of RAM like a boss

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/029/937/mac.jpg

Budget is not an issue withins some limits. I would go for the current macbook pros if they were not plagued by unfixable issues like the keyboard, audio, kernel panics and overall design.

I am scouting ebay and similar for maxed out macbook pros mid-2015 but that will get me as far as i7 and 16 gb. Still if I find a good offer I will buy it.

But not before seeing what Microsoft will announce on Oct 2nd for their surfaces.

If they manage to get 32 Gb and Thunderbolt 3 I will go for one of them. But I dont have my hopes too high.

Mobility is a must. If not I would probably go for a mac mini with 32 GB Ram.

So right now it’s Surface Pro vs MBP mid-2015.

2 Likes

Did you check HP Spectre? New Surface could be shipped with Wireless charging and USB C. https://youtu.be/IvgNAeBiV5Y But spectre is „massiv“ and not so mobile

1 Like

Check out the Lenovo X1 Carbon or X1 Extreme. The Carbon is ultra lightweight.
The Extreme has up to 32GB of RAM.

1 Like

This new laptop from Asus has caught my eye after abandoning considering any of the current Macbook Pro’s for exactly the reasons you outline, not to mention the constant thermal throttling! What is the point in the CPU upgrade if it’s going to be constrained by the terrible thermals…? I really do not get the logic if I am honest.

Anyway Linus Tech Tips did a fairly good unbiased review of the new Asus offering here:

3 Likes

Linus is an amazing freak! His vids are legendary

1 Like

My office gave me a Surface Pro to use as a back up. So I tried Wappler on it. It seemed to work just fine. Biggest problem was I couldn’t stand the flimsy keyboard on the Surface. I haven’t used it since. Would take a lot for me to give up my MacBook Pro.

1 Like

Just got my hands, on ebay and for a decent price, on a maxed out Macbook Pro 15” mid-2015. So i7 2.8Ghz, 16GB and 1TB. And useful ports and a good keyboard :joy:

That solves this for the time being and just in time for docker as it will play better with MacOS.

3 Likes