SQL Queries - Select TOP X

Is there a way in wappler to create a query like “Select TOP 10 from XYZ”. Some of my tables have thousands of entries so I don’t want to (or need to) retrieve all of the records. The only way I am able to do this now is by creating a view in sql server but wanted to see if it can be done in wappler without doing this.

Have a look at Creating Database Queries

I think I know how to make queries in wappler but how do I do a “top 10” selection?

It depends on how you determine the top 10. Do you have a column that registers the top 10? That is the only way to do a select.

You can do this on the serverside using the data formatter.
Do this in server connect steps:

1. Create a query from your database table. Uncheck output option.
  2. Add a repeat step. Select the query as an expression and use the formatter for this expression - under collections category select top and enter the number of records to show. Make sure output option is enabled.
  3. Add set value step in the repeater. Add a name for it and then bind the value you want to show (product name?)
  4. On your page, create a repeat region out of this repeat step from the server action and bind the setvalue step inside it.
1 Like

Actually if you just select to use Paged query and set the limit to 5 it will give you the top 5 records.

See Applying Dynamic Paging

2 Likes

Maybe I am missing something but wouldn’t it be easier to just add “top” to the query creator? Like where the distinct setting is.

When I code this query, it looks like this

Select top 10 * from orderlog

Order by orderId desc

This allows me to make a table that just shows me the last 10 orders without having to retrieve thousands of records with a full query.

Right now, I have to create a view in sql to do the top 10 query and then in wappler I do a query on the view.

Tom Komin
Altered Images

Creating a paged query and limiting it to 10 records (as in George’s example) does exactly this. It does not retrieve thousands of records, but just 10.

OK, I will try the paged query. Thx.