SQL connection to Microsoft SQL Server on Windows

Hi,
OK - I have installed ISS Express on my local machine and I can view a ASP page via a browser on Localhost.
When I set the site up in Wappler and get to this same point of Database connection - I have chosen ASP.NET ext…but on the database connection page - this time it is saying Error: Server Response : Compilation Error

What does this mean - ?

Thanks

Steve

Could you paste the full error Steve?

Also have you tested the connection - when defining the project options and setting the ASP.NET model?

Hi,
In project settings the connection is OK
In the database connection - I get the error.

If i try this with Classic ASP the connection works - So I am guessing it is an ASP.NET error perhaps?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Try generating a Wappler debug log and attach it here, as described in:

After a further consideration - seems you might just be missing the required files.

Try saving the server action first - even if it is empty. This will save and upload the required files in the /Bin folder.

This is indeed something specific for ASP.NET

And make sure the /bin folder is available on your server … as it is required

Hi George - I have created the server action which has created the attached into the bin folder - when you say available on the server - what do you mean - i can see the folder in ISS - but it shouldn’t be visable in a browser?

Thanks

Steve

Could you check which ASP.NET version do you have installed?

Version: 4.0.30319.42000

Please restart Wappler with logging enabled. Then try to setup the connection again and send us the log file. The log file will give us more detailed information about the error that occurred.

When I do the above - it submits no information - and outputs zip file with only a screenshot attached.

However - strangly enough when I have restarted this process - I created an aspx file titled “steve” with the body text of “Hello Steve”

The error for the database connection is now saying -

No mention of driver etc…but the Server response seems to be [File title][Body text]

Bizzare…?

Today is the final day of my 7 day trial before payment kicks in - I may have to cancel as I have made no progress in a database connection…It is a shame as it seems like a wonderful application and the support is great…:slight_smile:

Steve - it seems you web server is just not configured well. Maybe you can invest indeed more time to see how that work and experiment. Wappler is not managing your web servers - it just use them, but they have to be properly configured and running.

Btw the log files are open in Explorer so you have to drag them here and attach.

I have tried on my local machine running ISS express - as well as a runnig functional webserver which hosts many sites. I have also tried this on a work partners machine running WAMP who has no problems with a SQL connection via Codeignitor. The servers seem to work to host other applications which is what is confusing.

I am really trying to get this to work - like I say it works with classic ASP but I don’t really want to go back to that.
I understand your frustrations - I have went back to using ASP.NET - and ISS on my local machine - but no joy. The log files which open in explorer are zip files which only contain a screenshot.report_2019-0-22_10-36-50.zip (76.8 KB)

Seems that you didn’t restart Wappler with Logging enabled.

Right click the system tray icon - restart with logging…that is how I done it - is this correct?

Yes, it should then generate a log file