Selecting a Data Binding Overwrites Previously Written Text

Wappler Version : 6.5.4 stable
Operating System : Win11
Server Model: ModeJS
Database Type: MariaDB
Hosting Type: Dedicated Win Server

This is an ongoing bug that's been happening for years, its really annoying.

Expected behavior

What do you think should happen?

I should be able to place a data binding where my cursor is

Actual behavior

What actually happens?

Selecting a data binding removes a portion of already existing text

How to reproduce

See this video:

menuitems2

1 Like

Hey Tom,

I hardly use the Design view when binding a mix of dynamic and static values...
Only on solid dynamic values.
When mixture of static+dynamic value binding is needed I always switch to Code view and just add the quotes, the plus sign or whatever else is needed...

1 Like

Thanks for that, I use design/code views about 50% each, depending on what I'm doing at the time.

50% of my work is therefore affected by this bug, if I went 100% code it would disrupt my workflow and totally negate any advantages design view brings.

1 Like

Just said what im used to do starting from Ben's and Brian's videos that it sometimes happened..
So even if this feature is fixed I think that I will still work on this way just to see and be sure of what my binding is finally.
Of course IT WOULD BE PERFECT IF THIS IS FIXED!

1 Like

This is something that tripped me up regularly when trying my first few solo Wappler projects. If you don't watch the input and results like a hawk, you end up not knowing why your site doesn't work.

I don't like using Code view because I'd rather avoid typos, but anytime I'm typing a value myself I go to Code view before I type anything.

Tip for the typo-prone: If I know what variables I'm going to need in Code view, I double-click them to add them in the Design view & save before switching to Code view. This temporarily makes a non-working binding but helps save some typing and risk of typos in Code view for me.

1 Like