Running project in emulator or android studio

When I try to create a new capacitor project and try to launch the emulator or on android studio it comes up with this error and hangs, can you tell me why?

:heavy_multiplication_x: Running Gradle build - failed!
[error]
> Configure project :app
WARNING: Using flatDir should be avoided because it doesn’t support any meta-data formats.

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
    A problem occurred configuring project ':capacitor-android'.
    > Could not create an instance of type com.android.build.api.variant.impl.LibraryVariantBuilderImpl.
    > Namespace not specified. Please specify a namespace in the module's build.gradle file like so:

android {
    namespace 'com.example.namespace'
    }

If the package attribute is specified in the source AndroidManifest.xml, it can be migrated automatically to the
    namespace value in the build.gradle file using the AGP Upgrade Assistant; please refer to
    https://developer.android.com/studio/build/agp-upgrade-assistant for more information.

* Try:
    > Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.
    > Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
    > Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 702ms

Error running your project for android!

@George can you help me understand why wappler does not perform the steps as before? I

I am having also the same error.

It is not Wappler related. it is related with gradle version 8 and later editions.

Wappler does not support under version 8 gradle like 7 or lower.

I have no idea how to succesfully compile my android project.

“I’m facing the same issue, has anyone been able to solve this?”

I’m not sure if this will help with the error you’re getting, but did you see this article and the steps for Android setup?

There was also a lot of discussion in this post, and a few different paths to getting it to work depending on the version of Android Studio and Gradle you are attempting to use.

2 Likes

It’s tricky, but yes. I and another Wapplerer figures it out. @kfawcett shared the posts all that info is in. It really takes some doing, but you’ll get there :slight_smile:

1 Like