Run website on another machine

Great, I will give it a shot and let you know. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Install Wappler in the other machine.
Copy the project folder (without node_modules, if exists) and copy the .docker folder from C:/Users/user-name/.docker into the second machine.
Then, just open project in Wappler second system & hit deploy and it should start working.

@sid, thank you for your response .
Does that mean I have to use docker? Can I skip docker? I am planing to build web apps or website that will be running on customer servers locally which most of them won’t allow me to install third party software.

You can skip docker. If your current project isn’t using docker. Then you just need to copy the project folder on your other machine and open from wappler. It’s simple without docker.

The target settings in your screenshot showed Docker & NodeJS… so I replied accordingly.
If you are just using local deployment/server without Docker, its as simple as opening the folder in the other machine. No additional setup is required.

Using Docker is optional with Wappler.

@nshkrsh, could you please send me a screen shot of how would my project setting would look like. I assume I would use own server instead docker, correct?

an example

@nshkrsh Thank you!
So, do you think it would still work if I uninstall wappler after I run the app on the new machine? If thats not the case then that means I would have to buy wappler for every machine I build an app for it.

1 wappler license can be installed on multiple machines. It’s not machine specific license. It’s user specific. As long as you are using Wappler on 2 devices - it’s good with 1 license.

After you uninstall wappler, localhist:3000 won’t work. Coz wappler has the nodejs server built in. You will have to create nodejs server on each machine - which can be done without any license fee - but you’ll have to learn how to do that. With the official nodejs installer and pm2 it can be done.

Also, why would you not host the app on the cloud? That would not require for you to install the app for each instance separately.

The customers i am planing to use wappler for won’t like putting their web apps on the internet because its their building automation systems. They prefer to keep it offline and only accessible internally that way its secure

Not having dependency to install wappler on each machine is desirable in that case. You’ll have to figure out how to run the project folder as an independent nodejs app. It’s possible. And simple.

How would I do that? Any resources if you don’t mind?

I am surprised that wappler doesn’t come with a stand alone server were you can install separately

Well Wappler has a built in NodeJs server which requires you to install nothing additional.

If you want to move your project on another machine, then you can use git:

push the project to a remote repository:

and then pull it from there on your second computer:

install nodejs on your machine.
open terminal/cmd
change directory to the root of your project folder
run command: node index.js
that is it. app should start running on localhost:3000

you can start nodejs app via pm2 (FOSS) (https://pm2.keymetrics.io/) for more control, etc.

download the executable from nodejs.org - that is the stand alone server to run nodejs apps.
Wappler uses that itself.
this is the way. and eaasuer for you coz then you do not have to install wappler on each machine where you have to run nodejs app. just install nodejs itself. and voila.

@Teodor that’s great! now I know how to share the project with other team members. that’s awesome!

what I need though is to run my dynamic website on another machine without using docker. the website I built is very simple, I just have one variable that comes from a remote MySQL database. if I just simply move the project folder to my other machine and go to localhost:8100 it doesn’t open the page. I know I have to have a server but not sure how to do that. here are some screen shots for my project setup

I do have node.js installed but it still doesn’t work.

I tried pm2 and no luck. my project is web app not desktop app, not sure if it matters or not!

I tried this and it WORKED.