RIP AppGyver

Another “free”-ish service lost to the giants…

https://blog.appgyver.com/appgyver-joins-sap-2afe2d902645

Finally I get to apply my useless ABAP knowledge to a mobile app.

2 Likes

Another no-code tool being eaten by the big fish and doomed.

But the goal of the founders of such tools are to just show concept and cash easy, so I guess they succeed and now the tool is dead.

We at Wappler have different goal, we just want to make the best tool ever and continuously grow it to your needs.

No exit strategy - just build on!

25 Likes

This is my biggest fear for Wappler.

That is what I am trusting the team to do. You three guys are Wappler. In someone else’s hands it would be killed. Especially if it was Adobe. :wink:

4 Likes

So good to hear @George

1 Like

I hope this is true otherwise @JonL is going to have to give me some ABAP lessons!

2 Likes

I hope so too. There is only one thing worse than learning abap. Teaching it.

1 Like

AppGyver CPO here — we clarified this concern in an additional blog post: https://blog.appgyver.com/free-tier-is-here-to-stay-8a73a532414

The short of it is that a free tier is here to stay, the open indie developer community will remain to be of the utmost importance and the product is only going to get better. We are looking forward to walking the talk!

3 Likes

@Harri_Sarsa unfortunately, you guys now have zero decision with what happens to SAP’s ecosystem which includes the app you are building for them. You may think you have and you will get to make some small decisions during the next months. But that is just about it.

For me SAP’s appgyver is now a liability for any startup or small developer.

No possibility to export code, closed source and ran by SAP. No, pass and nope.

Source: I know SAP as a company. Been there, done that.

Sorry guys. Bold move for you but a big middle finger to indies.

Still…I wish you guys luck.

2 Likes

Going forward, we will also have paid plans that bring additional features to non-enterprise users with a reasonable price.

I can already see where this is headed. SAP’s got to make its investment back some how. Shame, I think I’ll stick with Wappler for now.

1 Like

I’ve run and sold my own technology business to one of the big boys.

At first you believe their “we’ll keep you independent” story. You have to. It is part of your self justification that selling out wasn’t just a selfish act and that you care about your existing clients.

Sadly you are totally out of control.

They wear you down and force you to do things their way.

It can be a soul destroying process.

Then once the golden handcuffs are off you quietly leave the business and let them get on with it.

3 Likes

The lengths people will go to justify that. Just wait when they get to the point they finally realise what they have done but have to keep saying it was the best choice. Behavioral consistency at its best.

If people have not figured out by now that normal peasants like us are sick and tired of megacorporations they clearly don’t listen their users or basically don’t give a *%$(

Anyway. One less email subscription in my inbox. I feel lighter :slight_smile:

As said, we appreciate the concern and we’ve made our intentions clear in the blog posts. Thanks for the good-luck-wishing @JonL, we’ll see how the story unfolds. :slight_smile:

3 Likes