Base table moved to subtable when changing name. Resulting in future database change failures

Wappler Version: 5.4.0
Operating System: Windows 11
Server Model: node.js
Database Type: Postgres
Hosting Type: local docker

Expected behavior

Renaming a table should work without errors in Database Manager, and not cause failures for future changes related to the renamed table.

Actual behavior

The renamed base table (user) was moved under the Account table when its name was changed to “AccountUser”. Future changes, like changing the id field to AccountUserId results in an alter table error.

I can see the change and the migration file looks good. I also tried to refresh schema at Table level, DB level, and using the Refresh icon in Database Manager. I also quite Wappler, shutdown all Docker instances, and restarted.

How to reproduce

Rename a table. Then try to make changes that could affect “relations” like updating the primary key name.

Example:

1. Have an Account table and a User table. Each with an id field as UUID type.
  2. Rename User table to AccountUser.
  3. Then try to change the primary key name.

Are they maybe placed under your account table as it has the same prefix? So expand the account table to see.

Oh, weird. It still says User, but that is the table I renamed. Thanks @George!

@George How about this error? I tried to rename ‘account’ to ‘Account’.

And this one.

I can no longer fetch data from User table either.

You have a lot of different issues here.

You are renaming primary key names, you might also check all references to it.

Anyway start over by refreshing the schema to reset the edits and try to isolate each issue separately and make different topics about the different issues.

Will do. I was putting them all in here, because it looks like all of it stems from the initial rename from ‘user’ to ‘AccountUser’.

Somehow Wappler made it a subtable (it was not a subtable before), but it’s complaining that a relation does not exist?

I do not see an AccountUser table. Which is what I renamed the ‘user’ table.

All other tables, that I changed their name and updated their primary key, are fine. The change was also cascaded to the reference fields as well.

This is the User subtable you are taking about

you had two tables:
account
user

So when you renamed user to accountUser it detects it as a subtable I believe same as account_User would

You can see User is now a subtable of account meaning this table is actually named accountUser it shows as User to be easier on the eyes as you can already see the nesting visually

2 Likes

That makes sense from a UI perspective, but during the process something isn’t working correctly anymore. The system is looking for AccountUser, but saying it doesn’t exist.

So does it or does it not? That is the question. :wink:

Also I’ve had an AccountPlan table for some time, so why wasn’t that converted to a subtable in the UI? :man_shrugging:

It looks like the issue happens when more than one change, that renames a table and field, are combined. See this video – it shows trying to make the two changes together, then making the two changes as separate database changes.