Project settings & hosting for a course platform

Hey all,

Quick background info:
Been browsing the community for a week and playing around with the trial. Have developed a course platform app in bubble, it’s finished for 80%.

However, I came across Wappler and have been convinced mostly by the community that I shouldn’t continue with Bubble. Due to being locked in and scalability issues in the future.

I am familiar with HTML & CSS, a tiny bit of JS.

What I need:
I’ve read through the docs, watched some video’s… but it’s time to get my hands dirty.
I’m completely lost on which settings to go with for my use case:
*The course platform is made for multiple clients (they each have multiple online courses) that they will be able to upload with a simple CMS. That means they either directly upload the video’s to our servers or upload on vimeo and then they can paste the URL in the CMS and we will embed it for them.
The customers of our clients will have bought the course with an external checkout system (ideally built in wappler in the future) and gain access with their own login details. They can then watch the courses they have bought.

Once inside a course it’ll look similar to this:

Core features:

• Login system with secure database holding possible thousands of customers
  • Connected with API to at least the check out program and ActiveCampaign (email marketing)
  • Hosting should be scalable but not breaking the bank
  • I should be able to update the platform that our clients use (our clients are the course creators) and ideally have it updated for all of them BUT I should also be able to create customised features for particular clients.

Example: We have 2 clients: Jon and Antony. They both have created several Wappler courses. So they both have their own URLs (jon.courseplatform.com and antony.courseplatform.com) with their own customers. Now I have created a new dark mode feature which I want to push to both Jon and Antony. But tomorrow I’ll make a customisation for Jon - he doesn’t want to use Vimeo but youtube. So I allow him to upload youtube links in his CMS.

How do I translate this to Wappler?

1. I guess I should pick the app template or starter page (difference?)

2. Hosting type: Docker hosting seems to be relatively easy and very scalable? (guessing…)

3. Server model: NodeJS seems to be the best option? (also guessing)

1. Do I need to choose another bootstrap framework?

2. What’s the best practice for developing to allow for a ‘global’ product that I can easily update for all our clients yet have the ability to customise per specific client? I’m guessing/hoping GIT is the answer to this

Thanks in advance!!

Kind regards,
Kars

1 Like

Hi, welcome to Wappler you made a great choice leaving bubble :sunglasses:

1. There should be an option to start a new blank project.

2. Go for docker with aws hosting.

3. Nodejs is fastest server model, php is very old.

4. No other bootstrap is needed, those options are for themes I think.

5. I’m not sure what you mean with this.

Thank you for your reply!

1. Blank project would fit better than the other options?

2. Great thanks.

3. Good to know, thanks!

4. Makes sense

5. I’m trying to figure out how to deal with this situation in this example:

We have 2 clients: Jon and Antony. They both have created several Wappler courses. So they both have their own URLs (jon.courseplatform.com and antony.courseplatform.com) with their own customers. Now I have created a new dark mode feature which I want to push to both Jon and Antony. But tomorrow I’ll make a customisation for Jon - he doesn’t want to use Vimeo but youtube. So I allow him to upload youtube links in his CMS.

App/ Blog starter will only lay out some containers for you, I think like navigation header etc. There’s no back end logic with these, you could try it out, blank is my preference it doesnt take long to construct ui.

For your subdomain question I’m unsure, maybe somone else with more experience can comment.

1. How were you handling this in Bubble? I can give you several options in general but maybe you were already comfortable with your implementation in Bubble and you just need to know how to translate to Wappler.

Thank you so much for your help! Appreciate it!

To be completely transparent with you: I realised I will have to develop it like this while writing this forum topic. So I didn’t get to the point in Bubble where I’d need to do it. My idea to solve it in bubble was to simply duplicate projects. But that would become a pain to manage as time goes on with more duplicates.

Can you suggest me your way to deal with this in Wappler? Thank you!

HI @karh, welcome! May be this thread will help you. It’s quite easy to deploy the same app for mutiple clients. But this way isn’t automated, and if you have 10+ targets, I can see how that can be a pain. But can absolutely be used for starting off.

Hi @PraneetB thanks for chiming in.

If I understand correctly: after adding multiple client websites as targets in the project settings it would then update multiple client sites at once when deploying.

Would it still be possible to create a customised version for one single target?
And which issue are you foreseeing having 10+ targets?