Pound Sterling symbol turning into a question mark

Hi All…!

I’ve been making great progress on my project, I’m really starting to get deep inside Wappler and although frustrating at times, it never ceases to amaze me with how easy it is to do the most amazing work with a lot less effort.

However, I’ve been hit with a problem I think we’ve all had over the years, one I’ve suffered from for a long time on and off - it’s the dreaded currency symbol not rendering correctly…

I have UTF8 encoding on my page, in my database and fields and also hard-coded into the webconfig script on the server ()Windows Server running IIS latest version)

<globalization fileEncoding="utf-8" />

I’m adding a record to a DB field and my £ symbols are being converted to a question mark ?.

Normally, sorting out any of the above would have fixed this, however nothing I seem to do is making any difference - has anyone out there any ideas on anything else I can try…?

Hi. There is a setting on IIS level for file encoding.
Not on my machine right now, but that has helped me in the past.

Hi @sid thanks for the input - I tried this already and it results in the webconfig addition I mentioned above, I took another look again at the IIS>websitename>.NET Globalization section and updated the ‘Culture’ settings to Eng-GB - this made no difference either.

Update: I was too frustrated at taking such a long time to revisit this so I did a replace action in the workflow to change £ into &pound; which solved the issue - not ideal but it’s fixed (for now…)

This is usually an issue with your server settings. Example:

1 Like

@Teodor, Thanks for that, it was one of the first things I tried.

Looking back on it the issue only cropped up after adding Summernote text editor to one of my fields. When I get back on it I’ll take a look and see if there’s any specific encoding made by summernote that can be changed.