PHP or NodeJS

In your opinion, what are the differences between using PHP and Node.js? With recent updates, many server models are now accessible in similar ways. What is your opinion on the best usage for each server model?

Depends on your hosting provider and budget.

Only difference that I can tell is Node has live data updating through sockets. Other than that there isn’t much difference.

But if all things are equal, I would choose Node. Again, it really depends on your needs and hosting budget/environment. Both are fully functional and not a lot of difference between the two.

As a developer, you will find that the templating engine in Node will help you.

If you adventure yourself with code or eventually hire someone to help here and there with code you will find out that using the same programming language for the browser and the server is useful. You just need to learn javascript.

2 Likes

Templating, sockets, scheduling, dynamic SEO support, got to say Node has many advantages but if your needs are basic, PHP will work out much cheaper.

If someone said Lamborghini or VW Golf, most will want a Lamborghini but for most people the VW Golf is a perfectly good car for what they need.

1 Like

Great analogy.

I’m a long-term PHP user but have just started a new project today using NodeJS and the Wappler localhost server with SQLite database and the process was sooooo easy and it works really well.

The hosting is a bit different to PHP. I’ve just added NodeJS to one of our dedicated servers so will be looking to deploy soon.

They seem to be the difference between NodeJS and PHP. Can’t think of anything else.

1 Like

Additionally, it’s worth mentioning that many experienced traditional developers in this community that happen to like Wappler have shown a preference for Node.js over other server models. Choosing Node.js as your backend may increase the likelihood of receiving helpful code snippets, advanced support, or even assistance with improvements and features for extensions.

Please note that some users, including myself, might not be able to provide assistance for PHP or ASP projects if it comes to having to deal with coding in those languages. This is not due to any personal dislike for these technologies (:rofl:) but rather a consideration for our own time constraints. I encourage you to choose the server model that best aligns with your needs and the community’s expertise to ensure the best possible support experience.

4 Likes