Pdf generator/export

We have evolved our usage of the extension to work for pages generated in Wappler.
So we basically design the PDF just like a Wappler webpage (with dynamic data, Bootstrap etc), and then pass that URL for generating PDF in the extension.
We can then also use the SA URL to preview the generated PDF file. Another update to the Wappler extension shared here is long due.

But what I like most about PDFMake is that it works on client side, without any server dependency.

In my case regarding PDFMake - completely opposite - it’s a 100% back end action.

In a Wappler php based project I use Tfpdf. Also 100% backend. Not really user friendly and certainly not no/low-code. But it works!

1 Like

Where i can finded the documentation to do this? on the pdfmake.org is so poor… you can help us??

It’s not poor at all - use https://pdfmake.github.io/docs/0.1/document-definition-object/styling/ together with http://pdfmake.org/playground.html

1 Like

We are already working on a pdf generator extension based on pdfmake.

It will be an app connect component to generate and download a pdf from a specific html from the page. All client side. So this should suit most of your needs.

Later on we will be working also on a server side pdf generator to be able to generate pdf fully server side.

25 Likes

Excelent news!!!
:beer:

1 Like

Fantastic news, really great to hear this - it’s a very useful addition to the Wappler toolkit…

3 Likes

thanks

2 Likes

Amazing news @George - I’ve been building with an external provider for this.

Do you have any timeframes on the server side version and if/how we can create a template?

This is going to be an amazing update, well done team Wappler for adding it :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about precise page separation in certain places in the new PDF generator - is this already available or planned to be added?

Will be interesting to see how many switch over to the Beta Channel now this feature has been implemented…

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, maybe we’ll wait for it in the stable channel soon, otherwise I’m one of those who are unlikely to switch to the beta version, I usually have enough glitches in the regular one :joy:

I can’t see that happening for more than one reason especially as announced recently the Beta Channel will soon become the Stable Chanel.

All aboard!

Then again I have been wrong hundreds of times hahahaha…

1 Like

The beta channel is pretty safe to switch to right now. Also you can always switch back to stable :slight_smile:

1 Like

I somehow don’t quite understand the point of switching back and forth, let’s say I used the new PDF export in the beta channel, and then switched to the stable one - will this functionality stop working in my project?

No, you just won’t have it available in the UI :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Anyway, I’ll probably wait until you add page separation to it - it looks like everything else I need is already there. Although it’s a little disappointing - I just recently spent a couple of weeks doing generation using an external service :joy: :joy: :joy: