Oracle always free cloud

There is never anything for “free” with money hungry Oracle, but I will check it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was really surprised too. Believe me.
I learned about this offering browsing self hosted subreddit. It seems people are using it to move some rasberry pi personal projects to the cloud. But seeing the specs it can perfectly handle small wappler projects.

I worked with an establishment that were in to Oracle for millions a year. Scary numbers! You get what you pay for though. Big data = big money. Still they do throw out some great freebies like Virtual Box for example…

Of course I am not suggesting using their software( i.e. db)

Just their cloud computing offer they provide :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t really find the docker machine driver to deploy to them. Any clues if docker machine deploy is possible @JonL ?

Yup. Via Virtualbox driver.

If people could start hosting remotely docker projects for free using your docker machine integration it would be a great win for you guys.

Needless to say that this
Option would
Debunk the myth that
Everything related to docker is not
Just
Simple

2 Likes

Virtualbox is more for local virtualization like hyper-v and vmware, not really to create the remote server

Yup I know but you would still have a docker machine virtualized under Oracle Virtualbox, running on their cloud, right?

I am assuming they are just pushing their own product(Virtualbox).

Edit: Indeed I got it wrong. I thought they were just spinning up VMs via Virtualbox on their infrastructure and allowing docker engine communication with it.

I see they have one for Rancher (which is a docker-machine derive)

But I would rather have one official, just as the aother providers have, for example the Hetzner

Here are the most drivers listed:

1 Like

I am checking other drivers and oracle go sdk to see how difficult it would be to create a driver.

Well it seem pretty easy to make indeed, it is just a bit Go programming, mostly adjusting a template of other driver.

A good Go discovery project for you :slight_smile:

So go for it :+1:

1 Like

Oracle added ARM processors in the Always Free tier this last summer.

Just installed docker, portainer and a postgresql database there. No problem at all.

Updated doc with all the resources they provide for free.

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm

• Micro instances (AMD processor): All tenancies get up to two Always Free VM instances using the VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro shape, which has an AMD processor.
  • Ampere A1 Compute instances (Arm processor): All tenancies get the first 3,000 OCPU hours and 18,000 GB hours per month for free for VM instances using the VM.Standard.A1.Flex shape, which has an Arm processor. For Always Free tenancies, this is equivalent to 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory.

This computing power and RAM is probably more than enough to spin up a nice kubernetes cluster.

3 Likes

This might be now possible with todays Wappler 4.5.3

We have now a generic docker machine, that can connect to any cloud service running SSH and you have a key to it.

So create an Oracle Always free instance in their console, add your SSH public key to it, choose it to be with Ubuntu and also make sure to open port 2376 for docker.

Then you can connect like by adding it with the new generic machine:

2 Likes

I’ll give it a try!

I am really surprised these guys are still offering all this for free.

There you go @JonL ! There was a bit tricky part with opening ports but once you get it - it is pretty easy, see the doc:

2 Likes

Nice George! Yeah the port part can be quite confusing for new people that would expect it to be a bit simpler.

But it all pays out given the amount of free resources you get! BTW, besides the regular servers(x86 and ARM) OCI also offers two Oracle databases with 20GB of space and 1 oCPU each, which is quite a thing.

People can save on resources on their main instance by not adding a database in docker and connecting their app to the Oracle Database.

Knex supports Oracle DB so there should be a way to make this work with Wappler if people want to get their hands dirty with their nodejs project.

Another different topic is if people actually want to use Oracle DB :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would rather stick to running Free Oracle instance with docker with own database inside. Oracle DB is really terrible - and there they will charge you very quickly if you do not pay attention.

Two free instances are fine just fine for two websites indeed.

If you need more or more powerful servers I would strongly suggest to switch to Digital Ocean or Hetzner.

1 Like

Indeed. I wouldn’t change postgresql for anything else. Maybe for other flavours of PG like cockroachdb or similar. But there are some crazy people out there in the wild.