OPINION: How would you set up your project to build on a laptop & a PC?

Just curious how other people would set up their servers, targets etc if they wanted to be able to interchange (possibly multiple times throughout the day) from a desktop PC and laptop/notebook?

Currently I’m just working on my PC locally and with ‘localhost’ MAMP sever and postgresql installed on my PC.

I want the versatility of switching to my laptop, but not sure the best way to set it up.

I also have my web host company I could add a random add-on domain for testing etc. If that was easier.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers
Phil

Hi @Philip_J,

What I would recommend is to set up the laptop and PC with the same targets and servers and then utilize the built-in GIT synching.

Ok thanks, I’m still new to all of this, including GIT.

Considering I’m still learning at the moment, and not needing to deploy anything, are you suggesting to use GIT to clean/sync all the files and assets, and set up a duplicate MAMP/SQL server on each computer?

Use GIT to ensure I’m working on the same version, and just use the different local servers on each computer. Does that sound right? (Correct terminology aside)

Or you can just setup an addon domain on your server, and setup your database there.
Then setup the same remote target on both computers. The database will be the same, so you won’t have to sync it.
When switching computers, use the Get command to get the latest changes from the server :slight_smile:

3 Likes