Need Help Moving NodeJS Website

Hello, I am a lawyer and sporadic Wappler user. I built my law firm’s website on NodeJS several years ago. Unfortunately, the web host took the site down this week w/o advance notice and I need help uploading my local copy to a new hosting service. It has been somewhat challenging finding a web developer with NodeJS experience. Just to be clear, right now I need help moving the existing site, not building a new site from scratch. I am hoping to hire someone to help ASAP. It could lead to a longer term working relationship. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

If you don’t need to make any changes and just need to upload the site to a new hosting provider, it is a pretty simple job. It’ll typically be the same for a site created with or without Wappler when it comes to nodejs and shouldn’t take more than 5-10m.

Do you already have a new hosting provider? If you do, are using a control panel like cPanel?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I have a “Snappy 2000 VPS with cPanel” hosting plan with HostGator.

Gotcha. In that case, it might not be such a simple setup. cPanel by default doesn’t support NodeJS in a user-friendly way unless the host is running CloudLinux, which does add it in a much more friendly way.

Since you have a VPS that hostgator has installed cPanel on, I highly doubt they have included this. You can quickly check by logging into cPanel and then seeing if you have a NodeJS option listed anywhere.

If you do not, it’ll have to be done via SSH or via the cPanel Terminal: https://docs.cpanel.net/knowledge-base/web-services/how-to-install-a-node.js-application/ which is a bit of a hassle.

What you’ll want to be looking for is an sysadmin rather than developer. Though, since HostGator is a bit more of a managed provider, you might be able to get in touch with them to see if they’ll set it up for you.

1 Like

Thanks! In that case, I may scrap the HostGator account and restart with a host running CloudLinux out of the box. Is there a particular site you recommend - www.cloudlinux.com? I definitely need something as user friendly as possible for NodeJS.

1 Like

He did an entire list here :slight_smile:

Picking from his list, I’d probably pick Namecheap.

1 Like

Yup, Namecheap is probably your best bet. They also have a handy guide you can follow: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/10047/2182/how-to-work-with-nodejs-app/

You’ll just need one of their standard shared hosting plans. Only thing to keep in mind with them is they do not allow remote MySQL connections (you have to tunnel). But if you aren’t using databases, and/or tunneling is not an issue for you, I’d say they are your best bet.

1 Like

Thanks all! I do not have a SQL database so I will proceed with the Namecheap option. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

This host seems good and very cheap. Will be doing a tutorial on using them very soon.

1 Like