Ludicrous Node Services environments 2021

Great question!

1 Like

You just need to create an instance or as they call “Linode”. Of course, if for example you need an S3 bucket, that would be another service. But usually one instance is enough.

Okay! As expected.
Now how do you add a Database of your choice?

I just started a Linode account, in progress, by logging in with my GitHub account.

But I see no opportunity to get this offer yet:

"One very good thing about Linode is that now they are giving you $ 100 to spend in 2 months, which allows you to try practically everything they offer for free

UPDATE: I tried a coupon for $100 and it assures me that the GitHub login already includes this. But there’s no other confirmation in the Linode creditcard form. Anyway, I’ll give it a shot.

Well with Wappler it’s very simple:

1. Create your Linode account.

2. In Wappler go to target and select Linode as your external Docker Machine here u have the doc: https://docsdev.wappler.io/guides/creating-a-nodejs-project-with-docker?id=remote-deploy-with-docker

3. U gonna need an access token for Wapppler can Deploy your Linode:

If you dont see the credit in your billing account, contact the support first, It happened to me that they had not given it to me and when I opened a ticket they gave it to me almost immediately.

1 Like

I have tried twice with Linode to create a new account using my GitHub account.

I’ve had my application turned down twice for unknown reasons.

Maybe using a German address with a German VAT number (used for everything online for the business) is frowned on, but I hate that they have my credit card info – Twice now.

I am disgruntled. Don’t know whether I will try to create a new account without any discounts at Linode.

@NewMedia, lol, I did not want to put anyone off Hetzner as such, but I just personally do not like it, most other servers i use, use the conventional cPanel and because I am so used to it, it is just easy to me.
Since I have however moved to Node.js I will admit I tend to really enjoy Digital Oceans services, again just my own personal opinion.

I can get up and running with a new node.js project on Digital Ocean hosting with Database, SSL, Domain, etc. in under 5 minutes these days, and it all just works.

1 Like

withdrawn message

Now have Linode account as they have responded to my protest & claim to have 34 Million Instagram followers who will never touch Linode if i but Insty thumbs down pic.
:shushing_face:

1 Like

Max, now that I have a Linode account, do you have suggestions on Best Practices and what services in Linode make the best overall instance for node projects with database needs?

Well, with Linode or any other cloud service, and as with Node or any other language, how to use them depends a lot on each project so I can’t give you specific advice, but in general in production try to always look at the analytics of your instance / s as well as the other services you use. Be careful how you use some services in particular so that your costs do not skyrocket. The most important thing is that you read the documentation of each service, in Linode it is very well explained and they have many guides. Linode Cloud Community
Keep your keys safe and never expose them in client-side code.
I think the best thing you can do is use Docker so if at some point you stop liking the service or you see that you have better features elsewhere, you can move everything quickly and safely.

If you use Node + Docoker + Linode (or other cloud service) it is really easy to do each deployment with Wappler, which is good because you can focus more on developing your application and less on how to configure a server and maintain it.

1 Like

Hi Paul… just a stupid question… when do you decide if your database is OK… using this setup with the droplet… vs a managed database? does it work via size… or amount of records… how do you know when to chose a managed database or not… i know you have large site and im sure its database driven… hence im asking…

You know you want a managed database when you don’t have a backup & restore strategy :slight_smile:

Wrote some fairly lengthy opinions here:

1 Like

Hi Mozzie, I would only really go for a managed database dependent on traffic, if an average dB query takes less than a second, and an hour has 3600 seconds, then if your traffic at peek exceeds that, then go managed

wow!!! that is a comprehensive reply… thats taken some time to compile… thanks for that… so in short… if you want to be safe!!! On digital ocean… you should take the backup option… and also the managed database if you want peace of mind :slight_smile:

Thanks @psweb . That is great… at least the database is fast enough still… so I guess now it comes down to the worry above… how do you manage your “rescue / recovery” plan when things go south…

I know your site is massive… and you use Spaces for your images… but what about your database… how do you back that up… do you make a “dump” yourself every week from your Navicat… or do you have sleepless nights … or no sleepless nights about a database… because if i read the above what @Apple said about a droplet … then it freaks me out…

++++Update++++
Im still on the “evaluation” period on DO… so i added a Database Cluster…
It makes sense to do this… if you have many sites… using databases … if you one have one site… then its pricy… but if you have more than 5 sites on DO that is going to use a DB… then i think this is the way to go…

So you can add as many databases to your cluster within the 10GB… and if the 1GB memory will be ok

But can be scaled…

This will at least give me less sleepless nights… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Something that you maybe able to do with Hetzner as well is utilise their https://www.hetzner.com/webhosting just for the DB. Would need to check with their support that you could access the DBs from their Cloud VPS’s but that could be a great compromise as they would be taking care of the DB administration as part of the shared hosting. And then you use their Cloud VPS for the application hosting. This maybe a more cost effective soltuon.

1 Like

Think im just going to stick to DO for now. Even if its more expensive… just want to keep everything at one place… :slight_smile:

For me, I use the DO Backup option, as well as do auto database dumps into my dropbox account, and dropbox allows me 30 days of file recovery, so at any one time I have 31 backups of the database, although thats probably overkill, haha.

1 Like

mmmm… interesting… did you do a post somewhere on how you did this… otherswise ill give google a go…

@psweb… did you use something like this…

or do you have a simpler tutorial

As im running into a issue with the managed databases…
Because i have to change the GLOBAL DB… connection for every TARGET upload… :frowning:

so even if i change the DB settings… on the REMOTE target as such

The global still remains … if you use a “direct connect” managed database connection

My problem is … if i have 10 targets… … and want to just press deploy… on all of them… then i have to go into each GLOBAL setting and change it…