Help with calling JS variable

I am trying to generate a random number using math.random for use in my app and I have it generated in JS but can’t seem to transfer it over to be used in App Connect.

If anyone could take a look and tell me where I messed up. I am following https://docs.wappler.io/t/using-app-connect-with-javascript-functions/15765#Accessing-JavaScript-Variables-Values-with-App-Connect
This is all I have on my page

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<script src="dmxAppConnect/dmxAppConnect.js"></script>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://use.fontawesome.com/releases/v5.14.0/css/all.css" integrity="sha384-HzLeBuhoNPvSl5KYnjx0BT+WB0QEEqLprO+NBkkk5gbc67FTaL7XIGa2w1L0Xbgc" crossorigin="anonymous" />

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, shrink-to-fit=no">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="bootstrap/5/css/bootstrap.min.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/style.css" />

</head>

<body is="dmx-app" id="random">

<div class="container">

<div class="row">

<div class="col">

<p dmx-html="randNum.value"></p>

</div>

</div>

</div>

<script src="bootstrap/5/js/bootstrap.bundle.min.js"></script>

<script>

let randNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10);;

console.log(randNum);

dmx.app.set('randNum', randNum);

</script>

</body>

</html>

I can see the number being generated in console but also see

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘set’)
at random:28:21

I assume I am missing something dumb since I’m new to all this but I would appreciate any help.

I’ve been messing with it a bit more following Get a Javascript variable outside the script and some other posts.

I’m not sure what I need to use as the setValue for the dmx variable in order to pull the JS variable.

Here is my console with me testing a few things.

I don’t know what to type to get the value of my randNum variable into var1.

Finally got it figured out. For anyone that may have the same problem - Dmx.parse() is only working when it is inside a JS function

I changed my dmx.app.set to be a function and autorun a flow to run that function. There’s probably a better way but this works.

Using dmx.app.set only works when the app is ready. If you want to set data before the app is initialized you can set it in the global scope.

dmx.global.set('randNum', Math.floor(Math.random() * 10))

You than can use it in expressions directly like {{randNum}}, not {{randNum.value}}.

1 Like