Has anyone had success adding a Docker/NodeJS to Portainer?

Have been trying to get Wappler to upload to a Docker/Portainer Container for the past few day with no success.
Has anyone been able to do this? If so could you give me any pointers.

Did you setup Docker/Portainer by yourself? Or are you using Wappler to do the containers?

Docker and portainer set up by me. Now trying to get wappler to connect to it.

You’re going to have a hard time doing that, because Wappler only supports Docker servers it setup by itself.

With Docker, you generally build a Docker image and push it to the server (“upload”). However, this is something that I can’t explain it all in this post.

Have you considered using a third-party software such as Caprover to aid server deployments?

You’d need to create a “Production” target, configure the database credentials (to the ones you’ve previously setup in Caprover) and then “caprover deploy”. And you also need to know a bit of Git, as Caprover only pushes files that are inside the Git repository - so you need to add all files to the Git repository (git commit).

Not tried that it would be ideal if Docker Desktop push to the server but every time I try that it get denied and won’t push.
It’s all get when you paying to use digital ocean, but when you trying to be a cheapass and use your owner server that’s seems to be where the issues are

That is actually incorrect. It somewhere in the docs on how to connect to a docker machine that is not created from within Wappler… Maybe @George can point out the correct doc, I found just this one:

That doc is for local development.

This is the one for connecting remotely to docker engine.

I also created at the time a 30 minute walkthrough on youtube.

It was a 4 part series, so just shared the first one. :sweat_smile:
Thanks for the precise links.

1 Like

Hi John followed you guid from Git and when I try and start docker now if get

● docker.service - Docker Application Container Engine
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2022-01-17 08:28:48 UTC; 11s ago
TriggeredBy: ● docker.socket
Docs: https://docs.docker.com
Process: 125320 ExecStart=/usr/bin/dockerd -H fd:// --containerd=/run/containerd/containerd.sock (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 125320 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Jan 17 08:28:48 auhosting systemd[1]: docker.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
Jan 17 08:28:48 auhosting systemd[1]: Stopped Docker Application Container Engine.
Jan 17 08:28:48 auhosting systemd[1]: docker.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jan 17 08:28:48 auhosting systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Jan 17 08:28:48 auhosting systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.

Any ideas?

Running Ubuntu server by the way

It has been a long time since I last deployed using docker. Have you checked server’s firewall?

yep, tried it few times now and still the same issue…lol I think I’m going to give up on Docker its way too much hassle unless your using Digital Ocean.

Have you tried Digital Ocean App Platform or other PaaS?

Well normally you can let Wappler create the VPS server and install docker on it with the build in Docker Machine.

If you do it yourself - it should be possible as well - you just have to give the remote IP of your digital ocean droplet and specify a cert folder containing certificates to connect:

1 Like

@George machine is not a digital ocean machine.
Also how to we add the cert when it only lets you select a folder on you Mac and not point to a file on the server?

Docker fails to start, presumably by incorrect configuration or similar issue. Check /var/log to see if there’s a log file of Docker with more information