File Manager very slow to update after recent update - when using keyboard shortcut

======== TEMPLATE BUG FORM ========

Wappler Version : 3.4.0
Operating System : Windows 10

Expected behavior

Switching to File Manager should be the same speed whether accessed via the keyboard (Alt+F) or by clicking on the relevant icon.

Actual behavior

Switching to FileManager using a keyboard shortcut has become very slow.

How to reproduce

Compare accessing File Manager via the keyboard to clicking the relevant icon for 5/6 seconds.

I never use the icons at the top left of the screen. These actions have been assigned a very convenient selection of keyboard shortcuts which mostly fit under one hand. I most frequently switch between Server Connect and File Manager ( Alt+S/+F). After a recent update I was disappointed to find File Manager is now slow to update and displays a ‘Loading icon…’:

I don’t think it did this before, or if it did, it was for a very short time. I was particularly disappointed given File Manager was meant to have become much faster in a recent update.

I’ve just discovered that clicking the button instead of using the keyboard results in a very fast refresh of File Manager. I expect the new functionality has not been assigned to the shortcut. If so, it would be great if it could be.

Well actually there isn’t much changed in the way file manager loads, in the recent updates.

Maybe something locally is delaying the load speed? Like a antivirus scanning or slow hard drive?

Is it every time when you switch to the file manager? And only with the shortcut? What if you switch from the menus?

Also do you have git enabled as well? It might cause a bit of delay because file states have to be queried but nothing really noticeable.

Do you maybe have huge amount of files in the root folder? Or in any other sub folder?

Lastly it might help to see the debug log to make sure if not other errors have occurred, so if you can produce one, it will be great.

The update I was thinking of was 3.3.6, where it was mentioned:

We have also greatly improved the file system integration and watching of changed files, to use a full native system calls. So now everything in the File Manager is automatically butter smoothly refreshed without any delays.

… but, at least with shortcut keys, the opposite is true.

This is the point - if I use click the buttons at the top left, the refresh is instant - the ‘loading’ item doesn’t appear at all. If I use the shortcut, the refresh is very slow. And yes - it is every time, as if there’s no caching when shortcut keys are used.

I do have quite a lot files in some cases - eg images files which I could move out of the project. However, this isn’t an issue if I click the buttons, only with the shortcut keys. That’s why it seems like a bug. Surely it shouldn’t make any different how File Manager is accessed.

I can confirm this behavior with shortcuts and files tab.
Have been experiencing this since 3.3.4 I think. Although, with 3.4, I do see better results, but clicking the link is still instant and shortcut isn’t.

In case it’s relevant, when switching sites, File Manager takes is slow to load initially - it loads in the same way as if the shortcut key is pressed. This might be expected in this case, but I’m sure it wasn’t so slow in the past. In this case, it certainly makes a difference if there is a large number of files.

I don’t notice any delays on my system. Do the project that load slow also have a git repository?

The main site I’m working does have a git repository. However, this doesn’t seem to make any difference to the speed when switching from App Connect to Server Connect for example - when clicking on the icons (as opposed to using the shortcut keys); File Manager refresh is instant.

I see this in projects with and without git repositories. And number of files is also not a factor as far as I can tell.

This is still a problem. It started a few updates ago and really slows things down when using shortcut keys to switch between App and Server Connect. It does help if tthere are fewer files in a project. Eg in a current project I’m working on, I have a folder with about 2000 image files. I can move them out of the project folder, but it’s convenient to have them there.

The chrome_debug log may give a clue. If I switch using the icons, there is no output to the log and the list of folders/files appears instantly.

If I switch using keyboard shortcuts, this is output to the logfile:

[74520:77780:1103/175823.823:INFO:CONSOLE(8)] “Is Active manager siteManager”, source: chrome-extension://fjjllfpmlaejicjkpknbdicdakiijgjp/Shared/DMXzone/dmxAppCreator/UI/w2editor_main.js (8)
[74520:77780:1103/175823.824:INFO:CONSOLE(8)] “OPEN manager siteManager”, source: chrome-extension://fjjllfpmlaejicjkpknbdicdakiijgjp/Shared/DMXzone/dmxAppCreator/UI/w2editor_main.js (8)

… and it can take about 5 seconds before the files in File Manager appears. It seems strange there should be a difference depending on whether you use the mouse or a shortcut (so it seems like a bug).

Does this happen on the project with 2000 files only?

Does it happen on a different computer?

This project actually has 7500 files. About 4000 are in the .git folder and there also image caches etc. I looked at another site with about 5500 files. There is also a delay when I open the project, but it opens noticeably quicker.

I have some sites (developer before Wappler) with many more files - one has more than 35,000 image files. I don’t usually keep all of these files on my local version, but it’s convenient to be able to have them initially at least.

The issues seems to be directly related to the number of files in the project. It’s not a major problem, because I can move files out of the project folder most of the time. But it doesn’t seem to make sense that there is no issue at all unless I use a shortcut key. If the shortcut key just did what clicking the icon did, there would be no problem.