Erased 200 files from my server

Shame that sounds terrible, I have had to upgrade to a 43 inch monitor because my eyesight was not what it used to be and that has helped quite a bit.

So here is what i suggest you do

1. Open you cPanel and click Subdomains

2. Enter a Subdomain of test
    a. Ensure your document root is test.mexicomike.com
    b. Click Create

3. Click FTP Accounts

4. Add your login such as mike
    a. Choose your new test.mexicomike.com subdomain from the dropdown
    b. Enter whatever passwords you want to use to access your FTP server
    c. Ensure your Directory is set to test.mexicomike.com/
    d. Click Create FTP Account

5. Open your browser and set the URL to test.mexicomike.com and you should see either a directory listing of that folder on your server or nothing at all

6. Open Wappler and Click the little Gear Icon

7. Click Targets on the left
    a. Adjust your Web Server URL to http://test.mexicomike.com
    b. Adjust your FTP Server to test.mexicomike.com
    c. Adjust your username to whatever you created in step 4, possibly mike@test.mexicomike.com
    d. Clear out the Remote Directory which was probably /public_html/
    e. Click Test Connection
    f. If all Successful click Save

8. Click Publish, which will publish all required files to the server

9. Open your browser and navigate to test.mexicomike.com and you should see your new site development, while your existing www.mexicomike.com remains as is.

Wow, thanks for the trouble you went to. I will follow your instructions. So when i create a page with Wappler and later want to use it on my live site, can I just use another ftp program to upload the files it needs?

Yes, when you are happy with the entire site and want to make it live on the real website, we will just change your ftp details to the old ones, hit publish and it should all just work.

Uh-oh, when you say ‘entire site’ does that mean just what is says - all pages should be constructed using Wappler? I had envisioned some pages being done in DW or Pinegrow or just plain html. In other words i did not want to redo ALL my pages. And I love my menu which is mobile and can be updated system-wide as an include file. Am i barking up the wrong tree with Wappler?

Well it is up to you if you only want to do 5 pages in Wappler and leave 3 from Pinegrow and 2 from Dreamweaver that’s your choice.
That’s not to say I would advise doing that though.

Take Wappler out the equasion completly for this example.
Even if you were coding 3 pages in pinegrow and 2 pages in dreamweaver, and 1 page in phprunner and 5 pages in moberise.
I application may use bootstrap 3 as a framework, another may use bootstrap 4, another could use no framework at all, they could all be using different versions of jquery etc.
It’s just not really an advisable thing to do in my opinion, but that’s just my opinion, if you want to do it that way there is nothing really stopping that.

Got it. Thanks. Will proceed with Wappler and see how the database pages work. That’s my main thing now. Appreciate all your help. Let me know if i can do anything for you, though web-wise and db-wise i think you are light years ahead of me. But if you ever need anything related to Mexico, i am your man.

1 Like

Thanks for all your guidance, psweb. I followed your instructions on setting up a subdomain and an FTP account for it. Got Wappler to show in error messages that user and PW are okay. What i can’t seem to get right is the directory. Have tried blank and with many permutations of /home/misty45/trip-planner.mexicomike.com/misty45_trip - in other words with and without /home or /home/misty45. The directory is root level same as /public-html. My ftp setup suggested this:
trip-planner.mexicomike.com/misty45_trip

Tried with the directory blank and no change except one time magazine connected to my original server. Scary. Appreciate it if you hive any ideas. I don’t see how to include images, so if you will tell me i can send some to you if you like. Mike.

If you could send me some images please that would help, this is the button to upload images on a cell phone.
On a computer the button looks the same but it’s at the top, and you can also just drag the image onto this text area too.

Duh! I should have figured that out. Here are the screenshots. I should point out that I used both https with sftp both ports 21 and 22 and with explicit and implicit and http - no change. Tried the ftp server as you see now and as you showed with the subdomain - trip-planner.mexicomike.com . I know the user looks odd but that is what the tech support people at my web hosting company said. BTW I have a VPN SSD with tons of space, root access and using MySqi/Maria database with php 7.3.6

Here are screenshots with the suggested settings. Thanks a million.

Thanks, that helps, looks pretty easy to fix

Lets start with your cPanel

The highlighted directory path should be /home/misty45/trip-planner.mexicomike.com/ and thats all in there.

In Wappler leave all as is here except

1. For the FTP Server make it trip-planner.mexicomike.com
  2. For the Remote Directory, leave it totally blank, so you have no directory at all.

Test, then upload a page to your site names index.html or index.php and go to your browser and enter trip-planner.mexicomike.com and you should see your new page.

Thanks. Working on it.

Paul,

Have been trying different tweaks to make configuration work. Naturally used the ideas you had. On the ftp server, used just the address and ftp.the address.

Thought maybe i screwed up password. So i changed it to something simple. No effect. Added new user to fto. no results. I have to be such a bother but if you think of anything else. will be happy to try.

It looks like you almost there, please check the username entered in Wappler.
According to your screenshots it should be misty45_trip@trip-planner.mexicomike.com

Also please make the port 21 blank too.

If Wappler shows an error can you show me to see what it says

Also maybe send a picture of your cpanel subdomain section please and the new ftp page again.

Please be very mindful with all the below settings, none of them end in a forward slash /

The Subdomain details in cPanel should be
Subdomain = trip-planner.mexicomike.com
Document Root = /trip-planner.mexicomike.com
Redirection = not redirected

The FTP Accounts section in cPanel should be
Path = /home/misty45/trip-planner.mexicomike.com

The Wappler settings should be
Target Name: TripPlanner
Type: Own Server
Web Server URL: http://trip-planner.mexicomike.com
Access Type: FTP
FTP Server: trip-planner.mexicomike.com
Port: BLANK
User: misty45_trip@trip-planner.mexicomike.com
Remote Directory: BLANK

Thanks for all the work. Attached are screenshots of the wappler error and my cPanel. I double-checked the address and other settings and they were okay. I also tried a completely different subdomain. Same story. Same messages. Now I cannot get back into db design. The circle icon is not showing on my page. I brought screen resolution all the way down to 100% but Wappler background still covers page.

Hey mike, this one here is still incorrect

It needs to be
/home/misty45/trip-planner.mexicomike.com
and thats all, please remove the additional /misty45_trip segment of that path

Can you go to your cPanel and take screenshots of the following
Subdomains

And here is what you should see

Next I need a screenshot of FTP Accounts

And here is what you should see

The only thing that is completely bothering me about this is that if I try direct my browser to http://trip-planner.mexicomike.com I am not seeing anything but an error of The site can’t be reached, which means that the subdomain may not have added an entry into your DNS, which would be strange to say the least.

So lastly send me a screenshot of Zone Editor please

The next screen click Manage

And this is what you should see

If you do mot have an entry in the Zone Editor for trip-planner.mexicomike.com as an A record with your IP Address of your server in there then nothing is going to work no matter what FTP or Subdomains we have, so this part is really important.

Paul, I just spent 20 minutes composing a detailed description of what worked and didn’t. Then closed my browser in preparation for going to bed. Suffice it to say connection problem fixed. Sub had no “A”, DNS, MX or any other record it needed. Got it fixed with help of tech support of my hoster.

One problem remains - when i try to upload a file into the directory other than index, looking for a solution. Need charge mover with raisable feet.

Again thanks for all the work you did. I am going to finally get the try the database grids, which is why i wanted to use Wappler.