"Documentation" hint

Thanks, this will help.

This is a very wrong perspective.

The question should be: “How many more clients would the project have had if the documentation was in place and supported the user every step of the way”.

1 Like

How about the good old Wiki? If you make sense of the structure, you could 1:1 use them to produce ‘internal documentation’ / hints etc in Wappler.

Basically,that’s what we have now

I think we should create a feature request on this.
Seems a good one.
Besides that:
I always thinked on something like this could be helpful on Wappler:
help-paint-createpictures-winxp

With instructions and examples but sounds like too much work. I’m able to help if that’s the case :slight_smile:

I’d easily pay $100-$200 a month if it meant Wappler improved 2x faster.

In that case I will call it a day and revert to VS Code.

4 Likes

Time we went commercial @ben :grin:

2 Likes

I’m very busy these days and the time I have is limited but I’m trying to understand where things going and unfortunately I can not follow up…

So, please let me point a few things:

1. We all LOVE wappler and preferred it in comparison to other softwares…
  2. We LOVED IT as it is…Of course we all have the ability to drop Feature Requests and Team takes them into consideration… A lot of them are already accomplished.
  3. The matter of documentation in an “experience guide” like @Hyperbytes dropped and @sitestreet already turned it into a Feature Request is Amazing.

Finally, I would like to say that the money paid for this product is OK…
I cannot afford paying more just for having every command and action written down in a documentation.
I had that with Cinema-4d but no matter how much I used it, I always had to watch a few related tutorials in order to achieve what I wanted.

1 Like

If you take the only sensible candidate from the area as your wife, that doesn’t mean it has to be love straight away :slight_smile:

What you seem to be missing here is the big difference that there are many people who come to Wappler from outside of development and who aren’t necessarily familiar with many of the technologies. Sometimes these things that seem obvious to you - we don’t even suspect their purpose, let alone the details of their application.

Maybe do something like small WiKi articles tied to elements inside Wappler - and give the community the opportunity to fill it out gradually.

Of course, some kind of moderation hierarchy will be required, but it seems to me that we can highlight the most qualified colleagues within the community and give them some stronger rights. In this case, the team will not have to spend additional resources, and the community will be interested in a simple and high-quality approach to writing these tips.

And then the learning progress will be several times faster, which will probably attract additional paying users.

I look at the comments above and see that other people have similar thoughts, you just need to combine the wiki principle with hints inside the interface - in fact, many things have already been discussed on the forum - but it’s difficult to get to them now

Are you implying that Wappler should be some kind of learning tool?

That’s what we have now, create a post and put it in the docs category and it will appear in the wappler docs.

3 Likes

Sora took control of Wappler YouTube channel. Expect 2000 new tutorials by EOB.

2 Likes

I feel compelled to join this conversation once again.

The lack of documentation is a serious problem for especially new Wappler users.

I’ve gone through the pain to do as others said in this thread: figure it out, then create internal examples to reference… or even create my internal documentation.

@Daniel_Roziecki is absolutely right:

1. Forum posts and specific questions are NOT documentation.

Documentation is the ability to look up how Wappler’s terminology translates. Like so:

We should NEVER have to reverse engineer this by testing every response code and checking which ‘dynamic event’ is triggered.

We also shouldn’t have to dive into the forums and hope to find the relevant post (HTTP Status Code to app connect name mappings)

1. I think the following question is not the appropriate question to ask:

Wappler is a business. They make a product and sell subscriptions.
In my opinion (coming from someone selling SaaS) having documentation is a must for any software product.

Because otherwise:

• New users get scared away, takes so much time and investment to get around it
  • You have a lot of pressure on your customer support inbox because you’re not preventing questions with proper documentation

In our business, we value a good customer experience very highly.
As we speak, our documentation is severely lacking as well.

We’re also tight on funds.

Nevertheless, our decision is:
We hire someone solely to identify which documentation needs to be written based on incoming questions, and write that documentation

That seems like the correct thing to do… else how can we scale?
If we want to help out all our (potential) customers, we’re stuck in giving customer support whole day.
If we choose not to provide great support, our customers will get frustrated and look for alternatives.

Anyway, the team played it well and builds up a bond with the community so the community gives back to the team by helping out with customer support. That’s great.
But I think it’s really overdue to hire someone and document everything.

Bonus:
Another examples of what should be documented properly…

100%. That was what I mentioned as well and believe the below example could be a good path forward.

1 Like

As a rule, Docs describe long examples of applying some of Wappler’s technologies to some particular application task. There is usually no description for what and in what variations the individual settings of each component should be used. Also, many parts of Wappler are simply missing there. I meant a short but complete help directly on a specific Wappler element inside, this would greatly save time searching for an answer

Ok, I’ll go ahead and jump in here and offer a way forward. I agree that the “hints” could be better. And skipping the “overall” documentation issues at this point. Maybe we just start a new thread and anyone or just wappler ambassadors could just screen shot an existing hint, and then add options or examples in the post text. Then the team could just more or less copy/paste that into the hints and over time they would just get updated over time? Or we have a “update hints week” where we call concentrate on adding our examples. Kind of like shark week. lol

1 Like

well looks like there might already be a feature request for that…

https://community.wappler.io/t/mechanism-for-wappler-ambassadors-to-add-tooltips-to-all-elements-across-the-software/54994

2 Likes