New Linode accounts will have connections from ports 25, 465, and 587 blocked by default

Hey All,

Like the title says, I deployed a landing page to a new Linode, used the new Docker Machines with Lets Encrypt SSL. That’s all working and site looks good with proper HTTPS/SSL validation.

But now the contact us form (simple input that sends an email to my inbox) doesn’t work. Its stuck in a PENDING state and eventually timeout.

The mail connection details are fine. They work if I switch back to my docker dev target.

Is it possible its trying to access a blocked port on the Linode server? I haven’t played with any settings on the Linode once Wappler deployed via the docker machine.

Once it times out, it has this as the remote address:

172.105.163.7:443

and error 502 Bad Gateway

The site is at https://shifthub.io/

Sorry to bump this so soon… but does anyone have any ideas? Basically my Send Mail server connect action isn’t working once i deployed to a live Linode instance (using Docker Machines integrated in Wappler)

Works fine in my Docker dev environment, but now it stays in PENDING status for a while and eventually gets a 502 Bad Gateway error.

Well maybe there is some firewall in place blocking it. Try the linode support see what they have to say.

I will look into that. For what its worth though, i’ve not touched this server/linode since letting Wappler set it up. So if it is a firewall issue it would happen with any new docker machine setup right?

Ok. For anyone else who experiences this issue, ALL NEW ACCOUNTS with LINODE have the SMTP ports blocked (24, 465 etc)

Its a new anti-spam measure they put in place late last year (only impacts accounts created after that time)

It was easy to remove though, simply set up a DNS A record, set up Reverse DNS and then log a support ticket. Took them about 11 minutes to reply and remove the SMTP block.

Details here: