Can’t commit/refresh git repository - when using too long paths on windows

So I have this issue, as well, with a project.
What I’ve tried so far is:

• Deleting the .git folder
  • Removing Git project on Github
  • Create new Git project
  • Restart Wappler
  • Wappler says no repository, so I create one
  • I connect to new empty remote Git
  • Wapplers Git Manager just shows Repository has no Commits, no dialogs to commit changes
  • When I update a page, nothing shows up in the Git Manager
  • Upload to remote is grey
  • Download from remote gives:

I haven’t tried Jay’s fix, yet. @JayP what do you mean by folder where the Git Manager was pointing to? Just the .git folder in the Wappler project folder?

Hi jelle…,

What I meant is the following: in the terminal window position yourself in the folder where the .git directory is situated (usually the Wappler project folder). In that position, if you write a “ls -a” instruction, you will be able see the .git directory.

I hope it helps.

Best.

Jay

1 Like

I’m not sure what goes wrong, but from the screenshot I see that there is no branch selected, it should select the master directly when creating a new repository. Does it show any branches in the dropdown and does it work when you select the master branch there. The error dialog is because there is no branch selected.

Thank you for your response, Patrick.

There are no branches available:

ps: my other git issue topic is not related to this one, btw. Not trying to push for an answer there, just pointing out that it seems to be a separate issue (different OS, different project). This current topic is on a W10, the one in the link on OSX.

It is very strange that there isn’t any branch available, there should normally at least be the master branch. It looks like there is probably something corrupted within your repository. You say you’ve created a new repository and it was like this? Not sure if it is the empty remote repository or the local repository. Please try to remove the .git folder again and create the repository again. Wait with adding the remote repository and check if the local repository is working correctly before adding the remote.

So I have deleted the .git folder using this command in powershell (in the right dir):

remove-item .git -recurse -force

Rebooted the computer.
Restarted Wappler and:

Somehow no branch shows up. Did I perhaps not wait long enough before the refresh hit or something?

Thanks for the help, JayP!
Sadly this did not resolve this issue.

There must be some error when creating the repository since it doesn’t refresh the panel. It created the .git folder, so it did something. Please restart Wappler with logging, reproduce the problem and click the submit bug report from the menu. This will open the log file location in the explorer so you can drag and drop the report here in this topic.

If you have git installed you could try to create it via the commandline git init. More information for commandline usage: https://education.github.com/git-cheat-sheet-education.pdf.

Hi Patrick,

As per your request:
report1629365149212.zip (451.8 KB)

Also after another deletion of the .git folder I’ve used the

git init

command to create a rep:

However, in Wappler still no branch:

The zip file didn’t contain the log file. You can find the log file at C:\Users\jelle\AppData\Roaming\Wappler\logs.

wappler.zip (2.8 KB)

Seems you have a very long path that is invalid in windows. As you are using some template that includes it.

Error: invalid path '\\?\C:\Users\jelle\Wappler Projects\dgc_node\theme_archive\themeforest-X7TodQHo-vuexy-vuejs-html-laravel-admin-dashboard-template\vuexy-admin-v6.6.1\html-version\vuexy-html-bootstrap-admin-template\__MACOSX\vuexy-html-bootstrap-admin-template\html\ltr\._documentation' (path too long)

What is your exact Windows version?

Maybe try to remove some of those files and cleanup

W10 Home 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Ok thanks, I’ll try that and report back.

Yeeehaa this fixed it for me! It was just a folder in my project that I didn’t even use anymore… Almost feel guilty!

Thanks for the great support as ever :sunglasses: :tada: :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

good to hear - we will also improve our error detection to handle this case

2 Likes