Building a catalog app

Teodor, sorry I did not acknowledge your contribution. Thanks.

Having a little trouble finding my way around. Somehow I’ve lost the ability to explore the “Demo Dynamic Real Eastate Site.”

Hi John,

You can get to it in two way (unless you have deleted the project)

1: The menu at the bottom left of the screen
2: The projects icon on the left (top icon)

Hi Brad,
Thought that might be the case. I’ve uninstalled it and I’m reinstalling the new release.
Thanks

That got it!

1 Like

TeodorTeam

5h

I think you are just overcomplicating a simple task.
All you need is static HTML pages, and dynamic data coming from a JSON file.

Hi Teodor,
I saw this reply in another topic. I’m wondering if this would work in my catalog of multiple layers of sub-categories and a template that is used throughout for each item in the sub-categories? If so, could the JSON file method handle 1,000 items effectively.

You’d better do this using a database and the database tools integrated in Wappler :slight_smile:
The topic you mention is quite too specific and the user there requires to use a JSON file.
In your case, for dynamic catalog better stick to the standard procedure using a database.

HI Teodor,

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. So that gives me some additional questions. I currently use Magento 2 for this catalog, which is about half complete. But I’m looking for a solution that will be entirely “local” and replicatable to multiple portable disks. Is a Wappler a good way for me to go? Will I be able to get assistance in building the database from you folks?

My data center just gives me a Magento platform and MySQL database so that I only have to know how to install a theme and populate the database in a shared server. Now, I need to have the product local and transportable,

Please advise what path I should take with Wappler and whether you can assist. I am neither a coder nor DBA. But I always find a solution.

And, do I need to get a pro license to try this out?

John

In order to use a database you need a server, where it runs. Databases don’t just run on a portable usb drives :slight_smile:
What exactly are you trying to achieve? What do you need to be “local and transportable” - the pages, or the whole data coming with them?

Hi Teodor,

I am wanting to create many websites (each personalized), each of which include a catalog (with categories and subcategories) of personal events (each of which are illustrated in a single page using the same template).

And, I want them each to be portable and able to be placed (shown) in a larger website with other sites of the same type.

Image a High School yearbook built of each person’s high school events. Then image that groups of the graduating class want to put their websites together for a team’s website.

Hope this helps.

John

Sorry, but i am a bit lost in your explanation.
How do you put site in another site?

I really can’t get your idea.

What I want to do is put the individual web sites onto a disk with a navigation umbrella above them that will allow the user to pick the one he wants to visit.

John

So you want to have separate html files, linked by a navigation (navbar), is that right? Then where is the data supposed to come? From a remote server or should each html file use its own (local) data source?

Yes, you have got it.
Are you familiar with Bitnami? I propose to install their “stack” of server applications on a portable drive to replicate a server. This is why I thought that using a JSON file for data to each of the personalized site might be a good idea.

Well if that’s the case (it was not clear from your fist post you don’t want to build a regular hosted site) then using local JSON files as a data source for each html page is just what you need.
Note, that you should put the data in your JSON files of course.

Right. I all ready have a data center host for my Magento 2 version (multistore). But now I want to build many smaller sites and produce them for individuals to use in combination with others like them.

I’m thinking that Wappler might fill that bill. I would use a JSON file with each site instead of a big database.

1 Like

Well if that’s the case (it was not clear from your fist post you don’t want to build a regular hosted site) then using local JSON files as a data source for each html page is just what you need.
Note, that you should put the data in your JSON files of course.

Right. I all ready have a data center host for my Magento 2 version (multistore). But now I want to build many smaller sites and produce them for individuals to use in combination with others like them.

I’m thinking that Wappler might fill that bill. I would use a JSON file with each site instead of a big database.

So, If I want to use JSON, I guess I need to sign on for a PRO license??

The JSON data source extension requires a basic license. This means with it you will be able to use the JSON as a data source, and display its data on the page.

Good enough. Will Wappler build the JSON file for me as I entre the data? And how many pages do you think it will accommodate?

I’m thinking I need a Home page, two category pages and one “product” template to begin. Is this how you see a prototype?

Oh, One more thing. Can I use a teammate on the projects with the PRO license?