Better Find & Replace

Hi.
When clicking “Replace” button in the UI, current selection gets replaced, but the search does not automatically moves to the next found text.

Rather than having to click next separately, if just clicking replace would move to next, it would be great.

This might sound a little strange but you can use keyboard shortcuts to find next and find previous if that helps.

I can not say how this works on a Windows Computer but on a Mac you are meant to use F3 for find next and SHIFT+F3 for find previous.

Although to be honest on a Mac this does not actually work as F3 is already assigned to the Operating System for Mission Control or something like that, but using fn+F3 for find next and fn+SHIFT+F3 for find previous.

EDIT: I have just updated the Shortcuts documentation to reflect this.

Cool. Didn’t try this in Wappler, but have used same F3 shortcut in Visual Studio for next.
It might then support the shortcut Alt+R for replace and find next. Will try tomorrow and reply here.

F3 is pretty standard on Windows too. I would expect a search/replace to jump to the next occurrence automatically; I think this is normally how it works. Having said that, sometimes I quite like seeing the change which has just been made, rather than the focus changing, so a combination of F3 and clicking Replace works well.

In that case an option in settings would be better. Something like “Move selection to next Find after Replace”.

For now, combination of F3 and Enter work for keyboard only operation.

Thanks - that’s a better method.

1 Like

A year later, now that we have Monaco editor, find/replace UX is much better than what it was.
This request can be closed, I think. @Teodor