App connect and SSI files

Hi @psweb I disagree with your point, and I believe this to be an important feature that should be included, in my 20 years as a developer, I always have include files that do database calls, either if I am working with Drupal, Wordpress, or my own custom CMS made in php or python, I also have Webassist tools, and I was able to add any SSI file full of database calls without a single issue.

Again a simple example with a side bar, many of the systems I had to build have a post or news list of recent news this has always been on a side bar for example or at the footer with a repeater of the 5 last or featured, if my system has user accounts, I tend to show their name always on the menu or side bar, with a small thumbnail of their picture, some of my systems the user on his profile page selects either to show his email or social media urls and icons, I do that storing a relation table in the database and with case or conditions the system knows if it should show it or not, on a big site, not having dynamic data on Include files is a terrible idea, since if you need to do a change to the side bar you can end up editing a ton of files instead of just one.

I also hope this gets implemented it is kind of the basic of a good site to have dynamic data on include files, that is kind of the hole point of having include files.

My personal opinion i do not see it useful for only static html.

Hi @TomD, your idea is great if you have simple data, but when it comes to complex stuff it can become tricky to have to copy paste stuff, there can be lost due to human error maybe a div gets lost and you then spend more time trying to fix something rather than the software that is suppose to save you time do it for you, on Dreamweaver I was always able to add data to include files.

The idea of the Button to reinstate an include might be more difficult to archive than just allowing us to do it.

What I observe is that since the body of the HTML is not present () it doesn’t allow us to use the dynamic things, but I do see it does includes to the database files, it just seems to not activate internally so we can use its functionalities.

Hi @lsadesl, sorry maybe I explained myself badly.

I agree with you. Include files need to be able to pull data from the database. It is 100% a must have feature.

I have about 5 sites already completed with only Wappler right now that all use include files and every one of those include files get data dynamically from the database.

My post honestly had nothing to do with that at all, sorry if I wrote it badly.

I will try explain my point, because I always need to use dynamic data inside files that are going to become include files at some stage I tend to first build a single page with all the dynamic data I need. Once complete and fully operational. I then move it to an includes file.

This just means that I manage to get around the current limitation of not being able to access the server connect action parameters directly from the include file.

Most of the post I wrote was about how I am unsure how Wappler would get around this and that I never expected that to actually work in the first place because in my shorter 10 years of coding I have always found include files to cause an issue when there is a relyiancy on both files together to make something work.

Dynamic data inside an include does work in Wappler right now, accessing the parameters of a server connect action however does not, either you have to manually add the right code in code view or you have to make sure to add all your dynamic data before you actually send it to an include file.

Hi @psweb, Sorry I misunderstood you , for now I am doing that work around, and that is the reason I still do not relay on Wappler as a point to get my real work done with it, well and at the company I work for I can not use this tool since most our clients have a heavy use of Drupal and Wordpress sites.

I do like Wappler but I still believe it needs more improvements, the workaround is ok for my personal project but the moment a client is involved and wants changes and more changes and dreams with something and calls the next day with more changes to his site side bar or footer, things can get scary there :smiley: having to do workarounds to get something that should be simple done.

The point on using tools like Wappler is to make our web applications life development easier.

Absolutely, I luckily hardly ever rely on Drupal or Wordpress because i work for myself so at the moment I use Wappler full time and to be honest only Wappler.

I am hoping Wappler could in some way get this working by just adding more parameters to their first line commenting that is added when you create the include file.

Currently those comments seem to only pull in the component based reliancies but maybe if the added the server connect reliancies too then we could access the dynamic data from the original page. I just do not think that would be a good long term solution as the user could add more server connect actions to the base file and then the include code comment line would not be aware of that.

I have a feeling Wappler is going to have to find a way for the user to be able to edit elements of the include file directly on the file that is accessing it so it can read what server action parameters are in that there.
That will probably be the best long term solution but I am not sure.

Will have to wait and see what they manage to do. Look forward to it though.