Advice on Mac Specs

We have successfully deployed our first Mobile App to a HUGE team of Cleaners. Developed in Wappler and deployed to Android tablets locked to this single Application. It is the first season we have had no complaints from the Cleaners as they love the simplicity and the fact it’s always available at the click of an Icon. Reminds me will put together Part III of my Mobile App Tutorial… Will get around to it this week! Essentially it is very simple, aside from some Manifest tweaks to allow for cross site based access rules, all depending on where your parent DB’s are located, these need to be specified… More on that when I publish Part III though!

5 Likes

would be interesting to know what were the top 5 challenges there in that native app ! :face_with_monocle:

Wow, well done Dave, I am still having issues with mobile apps and wappler.
Going to try on my new laptop in case its a system setup issue and dare I say it, the mac mini I have ordered.
Then I will know if it is me or the system setup.
Was hoping to get everything working for next series of webinars (I hope to re-start soon) but for the moment i am having to look at different topics for them.

1 Like

I must have missed your first 2 mobile app tutorials, can you post a link to them for me please.

Here you go @psweb,

1 Like

Hi, I develop almost entirely on Macs, my workhorse is a 15 inch MacBook Pro 2014 edition 2.5Ghz and 16GB Ram, which is great. I do actually run Windows 7 and 10 in virtual machines using Parallels on the same mac but prefer the mac by far, As well as Wappler I also use it for classic asp and php development.

Alongside I also have an iMac 21.5 inch late 2009 3.Ghz and 8 gb of ram and a 17inch MacBook Pro, I find the large screens superb for having dev and live windows side-by-side when testing sites etc.

Not sure if this helps but I would certainly consider the 15 screen over the 13 inch

As i have said, I have no intention of using my mac as my primary machine, as to monitors, my windows Core i7, 16Gb system has a main monitor which is is a 27 inch ultrawide within two other 23 inch wide screens and a 50 inch smart TV connected as a viewing paltform for customers (also handy when doing webinars).
3 screens is a minimum in my opinion for how I work.

I just don’t think I could work on any laptop/ book type system, Windows or Apple. My i7 laptop goes on the road with me, never comes out of it’s case in the house/office.
Tried a Surface, nice bit of kit but not for a developer like me.

Hate my friends MacBook, too restricted, his doesn’t even have a LAN connection so he has a cheap blue plastic Chinese USB dongle inserted to allow a cable connection!

My newly purchased Mac Mini, Late 2012 core i5 with 8Gb ram ((currently on Majave, not upgraded yet) is not a bad machine but i really don’t see what all the fuss is over macs, it’s ok but not, in my view, significantly different to my current Windows system in terms of performance.

Certainly I see no reason to dump almost 30 years of windows experience (and training/ certification) and a lot of hardware for no observed additional value.

So it will stay in it’s box except when I need to do something mac specific for a customer (of which in have very few)

Hi, if you get hold of a MacBook with firewire there is a neat little connector to LAN from this. I guess it was to avoid having to make the laptop body as thick as a brick just to accommodate a chunky LAN port. Apple do like to go sleek!

I do believe Apple have now abandoned that policy now and are to put usability first.

Tools need to be functional, they are not part of a fashion show, computers are tools, nothing more, nothing less as far as I am concerned

Lan ports do not need to be clunky or large, my Lenovo laptop has a drop down lan port which has has a similar profile to a usb port.

£30 for an adapter to add a basic feature it should already have, i think not. £5 chinese USB dongle does just as good a job.

I would guess that Apple reason that most of their MacBook users are on-the-move types who tend to use WiFi most of the time and like to have a lightweight slim machine to tote around which is why they opted for MacBooks. In that case the idea of a slim, but high-spec firewire add-on LAN capability for the more office-based types would seem to add up.

Yes, perhaps that is their reasoning but that also means, by definition, they are not an suitable tool for a developer to use in their office, I can’t see any other product but an iMac or Mac Mini fitting that category of use.

Which, i guess, is why I may appear quite dismissive to the suggestion that a Macbook would make a unsuitable development machine.

Please don’t think I am being rude or dismissive, not my intention but I am very happy with my windows setup and simply don’t see any real advantages in switching to mac just form the sake of it (and at huge expense)

For me, always, “If it aint broke, don’t fix it”

Anyone bought one of these yet?

I bought two of them. One for weekdays and the other one for weekends.

I am with Apple on this one. 8P8C connector popularly named RJ45 was rolled out in the 80s. It can be that in 2019 we are still using this piece of history.

So if Apple and other laptop manufacturers start losing that port(only the port) and not ethernet protocol someone will come up with a better connector to handle cable ethernet.

This is why you don’t see Macs used by Network Engineers or in data centers. Its tools for jobs and as much as Mac users would love to believe Macs are incredible in every regard they are not. As for portability ultra thin devices are not made for increased workloads, its purely aesthetics. For that we use anything other than a Mac. It’s akin to those individuals that wear ‘reading’ glasses with clear lenses in expensive frames… Our use cases may be very different, as are our preferences in the tools we select. Each to their own in every regard. Respectfully of course.

:wink:

They need to come up with something better than a piece of plastic from the 80s.

Ethernet cables are fine. Connectors are outrageous. Network engineers agree on this(at least the ones I work with)

There will always be conflict with this versus that. Quite the opposite opinion here. I’ve seen half a dozen Mac users in data centers over more than 20 years! Step outside the server room and offices are full of them. Most engineers are running various Linux distros, lots on Windows, or multiple VMs… Very few Macs. But hey ho that is life. Whatever works for the user is fine with me! :slight_smile:

But you are just talking about mac vs pc. I am talking exclusively about the connector.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Because these have never happened :slight_smile:

https://wolfgang-ziegler.com/posts/2018/fixing-a-broken-ethernet-cable-clip/broken-ethernet-cable-clip.jpg

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/broken-ethernet-cabling-picture-id475109324

Anyway, I am a millenial so for me everything is broken.

With virtually the entire network infrastructure of the world running on RJ45, the time and cost to change would be massive, any alternative would have to offer something quite spectacular, My gut feeling is that this will never happen until a new fibre option connector for general use makes it worthwhile.

All cables can break be physical damiage, even those made by Apple i suspect.

We cant even get IP6 to be implemented globally, so changing several billion connectors with no significant advantage is not going to happen soon, certainly firewire is not the solution, too slow (800MB/ sec max?) when we already have gigabit via Cat5+ and RJ45

2 Likes